Help me decide between two Macs, please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MinorSeventh, Sep 18, 2017.

  1. MinorSeventh macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2017
    #1
    Hi everyone,

    I'm looking to drop some dough on a desktop setup, but it's difficult to decide between two versions. I have a 2015 base MBP Retina as well as the old "Magic" keyboard and trackpad already.

    Version 1:

    Get the base 2017 5k iMac, keep the old Macbook for on the go. Sell the "free" Beats headphones and the weird mouse.

    Price point: 1650 Euro

    Version 2:

    New Macbook Pro 2017, Acer H277HU monitor, gradually build up a Hackintosh for heavier on-desk use.

    Price point: around 1800 Euro

    Now there's obvious up- and downsides to either one. I already use a USB C phone and a Switch, so having a USB-C powered laptop would be sweet. I also work a lot on the go, and having a nicer screen / speakers on my mobile computer is a point in favour of the new Macbook Pro. I rarely use any peripherals while I'm out and about, but I bet that changes the moment I get the new MBP. The Hackintosh has a faster drive, better GPU, slightly better CPU and is expendable.

    On the other hand, the iMac seems like pretty good value, considering the supposedly amazing screen. I'm assuming it has better / louder speakers than the MBP and I wouldn't need to have the Hackintosh-Hassle.

    Anyway, what would you do?

    Thanks heaps!
     
  2. leman macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2008
    #2
    If I needed a desktop, I'd go the iMac route. Hakintoshes are still a hassle last time I checked and as you noted, current iMacs are very good value for money if you include a screen. The 2015 MBP is still a very decent computer. Plus, if you want to build up a decent tower, you'd end up with $1000+ anyway, so there is not that much difference between the two options :)
     
  3. Fishrrman macrumors P6

    Fishrrman

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2009
    #3
    This is an easy choice.

    Get the iMac and keep the MacBook Pro you have now.

    There's NOTHING like having BOTH a nice desktop "at home" AND a nice laptop to carry around with you...
     
  4. MinorSeventh thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2017
    #4
    Can I later decide to install OSX / Windows on an external USB C SSD if I find the fusion drive too slow?
     
  5. Lioness~ macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2017
    #5
    Take the iMac. But if you're gonna have fusion drive go for 2TB otherwise the SSD is too small inside.
    Depending on how much storage you need on the iMac. Otherwise take the 500 GB SSD instead of FD.
     
  6. MinorSeventh thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2017
    #6
    Dude I don't have infinite funds. That's another two hundo.
     
  7. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2010
    #7
    Do you need/want the portability of a laptop? If so, there's your answer.
     
  8. alias99 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2010
    #8
    Wouldn't get the fusion based on the news that APFS won't support it. Wouldn't get one anyway to be honest.
     
  9. MinorSeventh, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017

    MinorSeventh thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2017
    #9
    Well I certainly won't shell out an EXTRA 200 Euro for a 256 GB SSD. That's insultingly expensive.
     

Share This Page

8 September 18, 2017