Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is this a scratch or a crack?

• Scratch

Votes: 23 67.6%
  • Crack

Votes: 11 32.4%

• Total voters

brianj

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Ive always worn my iphone in a case so when I took it off to write the numbers off my simcard I discovered this long scratch/crack. What do you think it is?

jeffmc

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
scratch for sure

is it a hard case? my back is scratched to hell from my case

shinenjk

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
Boston, MA
Ive always worn my iphone in a case so when I took it off to write the numbers off my simcard I discovered this long scratch/crack. What do you think it is?

I bet half the forum will say scratch, the other half crack.

In other words, the picture SUCKS.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
Sorry, I cannot tell.

I have been carrying my white iPhone without any protective case since 7/11. There is no crack/scratch on the back yet.

shinenjk

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
Boston, MA
I tried. I cant take a picture closer. THe reflections are messing up my camera.

Honestly it looks like a scratch to me though. But does it really bother you that much? Consider that it'll be in a case 95% of the time, and that Apple will be coming up with a new phone every year & you'll be buying the new one. :p

catalyst6

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
Berlin
Looks like a scratch. I have sustained similar damage from removing my phone from a case like the Icebox (hard acrylic case).

If any grit gets between the phone and case when you are removing it, it will cause scratches like that on your phone.

The coating may be resilient to light scratches on the back of the iPhone. But the plastic is VERY soft.

shoomr

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2008
Looks like a crack to me. What does it feel like? Crack or scratch?

I have the same question/problem as the original poster. This may sound like a dumb question, but how would a crack feel different than a scratch. After less than 24 hours I noticed a crack/scratch. I'd hardly used it and had been handling it with kid gloves so was surprised to see any damage. The crack/scratch isn't where other cracks have been most highly reported (by headphone jack, etc), but it also doesn't look like scratches I've seen pics of online. When I run a fingernail over it it catches as it crosses the crack/scratch. Thanks for any insight.

Zephgx

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2007
California
I say it's a crack since it has the similar shadow like normal cracks (that might just be me though) try to put your fingernal in it. If it does it's a scratch, if not it's a crack.

I had scratches on my iPhone 3g (got it replaced for problems) and I had two scratches... Although they were only seen in bright light and had no dirt in them, but I can put my fingernail in them.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
Rub something in it like a powder maybe ladies blush, bronzer, etc. with your finger. Or maybe even flour to see if it gets stuck in there. If not, not a crack.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.