help me decide! MacAir or MacPro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by harvest1976, Sep 12, 2015.

1. harvest1976 macrumors newbie

13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display
    Hardware
    • 2.7GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz

• 16GB 1866MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
    • 128GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
    OR

13-inch MacBook Air
    Hardware
    • 2.2GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz
    • Intel HD Graphics 6000

• 8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
    • 256GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
    ***Both are the same price for Educational Discount
    Pro - I like that the Pro has 16 GB RAM, and I can upgrade storage later. Has a faster GHz
    Air - I like that it weighs 1 lb lighter

2. harvest1976 thread starter macrumors newbie

OR
    If I go Pro, I could get the Pro, with 8 GB instead and save $200 or so
    If I go Air, I could get it with 128 GB Flash Storage to save about the same amount

3. pjfan macrumors regular

What is your current situation? Is this for work, home, both? What laptop/system do you currently have? What applications do you currently use? What is slow? Are you running out of storage?

The pro is faster in a few ways, and the screen is very good.... If I knew more about your situation, I'd cast a vote for one or the other,

4. harvest1976 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, Thanks pjfan. I currently have a 2009 MacBook Pro that was the basic model, no extras. It has been running extremely slow for the past year or two. I have taken all my files off, etc. But still...
    I will be using it for work and home. Will use Photoshop, iMovie, Word, iTunes, and lots of online (making website, updating websites, and watching netflix, HBO, etc).
    I want to be conservative on price, but if an extra $200 makes it last much more long term, I can go that route. It seems like the benefit of the Air is it weighing 1 lb less. I will be taking it with me to work 4-5 days a week, but I am not walking far with it really. My current MBP weighs 4.5 lbs.

5. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Macbook Pro all the way. It will be pleasing working with the Pro because of the great screen and the 16GB of RAM. Photoshop likes to use as much RAM as it can.

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...with money being a concern, why not backup and save all your files, get RAM up to 8Gb (its a very cheap upgrade), put a good SSD into your 2009 MBP (they've come down so much in price lately), do a fresh OS install and keep it for a few more years until you can save up and get what you want when you can afford it better and thinks will have improved even more by then?

7. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

+1. Nevertheless, I think 8GB of RAM will be enough.

8. Joep87 macrumors newbie

Pro without a second guess. The Retina screen is worth the $200 difference alone. 8GB of RAM is enough I would say and it will handle everything you throw at it for the years to come! If you are looking at potential resale value, the Pro is also a better choice, it is likely the Air has run its course.

9. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

It depends on your workflow. If you can't benefit from the i7, and you won't mind that extra weight, go for the Pro. However, if your workflow can actually take benefit from all cores, then the i7 may actually serve you better. Also, 128G is not much storage, IMO 256G is more reasonable (especially you may deal with lots of multi media files in Photoshop / iMovie). So for the same price, double the storage / cores, and lighter. Not a bad idea at all.

BTW, if your MB is upgradable, you better consider get a SSD and more RAM, which will make you feel your Machine like a new one (with much less cost).

10. pjfan macrumors regular

The Retina MacBook Pro would be great for your needs. I agree that you should go with more storage than 128 (I regret it, and I don't push the envelop). Check the refurb store, phenomenal deals on 2015 rMBP in USA. The rMBP is truly great for your needs... you will feel the difference carrying the laptop, but not a huge difference -- those who air travel or train travel and compute on their commute benefit greatly by the MBA (Lap Computing). If you want to skinny down your carrying bag, then the Air could be more portable for your daily travel -- but if you aren't planning to replace your briefcase/backpack/messenger bag, then you likely won't feel the difference. Since your doing so much content work, you will feel the benefit of the Pro machine via Retina, Speed of SSD, and ForceTouch.

As for upgrading your current machine, SSD and Ram would help make your system truly better and save significant money. The jump to new rMBP will be significantly better experience however for your workflow, in my opinion.

Best of luck! Update the thread to know your choice and experience.