Help me decide new macbook - tight budget

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crawff, Oct 29, 2013.

1. crawff macrumors newbie

Hi,

I currently have a mid 2007 macbook and although it is still going ok I would like a newer model.

I don't have a large budget as recently we had a baby daughter and she is priority.

I only have around £1000 to spend so I am looking at the 2012 13" Macbook or the entry level new 13" Haswell Macbook. (I can get 10% off price of these).

I would mainly like to use the macbook for browsing internet, streaming films to PS3/apple TV. Basic photo editing. using AIRPLAY and maybe playing FM 2014. I have also thought about using bootcamp to install Windows incase I ever needed it.

What would be the best purchase for me?

Would both of these seem really quick coming from a 2007 model?

I would be grating for anyones input as I really don't know.

Thanks!

2. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

An easy, cheap recommendation is always to max out your RAM and put in an SSD. These can make huge differences. Upgrade while you can, before the only thing you'll be able to find are the new non-upgradeable Retinas.

3. crawff thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks but I would like a newer model - mine is worn and tired and the plastic has so many cracks now!

4. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

Well, there are lots of different options so it's hard to say.

If you want upgradability then obviously you need to look at classic MBPs, probably on the refurb store.

The standard base models on MBA and MBP are too hard to recommend since I really don't think 4GB of RAM is enough for most people, not even close, especially if you plan to get another 5 years out of this laptop.

If you need more than 128GB of storage, then again, you need to go to a higher-end model.

It's really sad that Apple doesn't make better options at your budget. I'm glad I'm not in the market right now.

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

With your use expectations it boils down to:
    portability, screen, battery life and maybe storage

Get a MBA 11'' base config. It will safe you a lot of money!

6. crawff thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for comment but i really want a 13" model.

Just need to choose between to the 2 i mentioned.

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

Mba also comes in 13". Its the most portable and probably best for your needs.
    Its only 950£ in e UK store.

If you are fixed on "Pro":

The retina display is a pleasure.
    Also the haswell is more portable + longer battery life.
    The 2012 mbp is upgradable but i dont think that matters for you.

8. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

The problem with the entry level rMBP is that is only has 4 GB of RAM, and that RAM is non-upgradable in the future. Compared to the classic MBP, you also lose the DVD drive, and it comes with SSD storage that is 10+ times faster than the hard drive in the classic MBP. Plus it has the gorgeous retina screen, and thinner, lighter form factor.

What about getting last year's rMBP at a discount somewhere? The new Haswell model gets better battery life, has a faster SSD, but otherwise is pretty similar performance, especially for your intended use.

9. bigeasy_uk macrumors 6502

Where abouts in the UK are you?
    I've just upgraded to a retina mbp, so i'm selling my 2011 15" mbp.
    It's the 2ghz i7 model with hi-res glossy screen, 8gb corsair ram, 128gb ocz vertex 2 and I've replaced the optical drive with the stock 500gb hdd. It's in really tidy condition too, no dents or scratches.

10. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

This is probably your best option. You have enough RAM to last a while, and 628 Gigs of storage is nice to have. Quad core i7 with the ability to up the RAM to 16 Gigs would last you longer than an Air, as far as longevity in usability. The hi-res screen is also nicer than anything except the new rMBPs - which would limit you to 4Gigs and 256 gig MAX in storage.