Help me decide on a case!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by dkthepk, Feb 18, 2008.

1. dkthepk macrumors newbie

I have 4 criteria for an iphone case.

1. MOST IMPORTANT: cosmetic protection- especially drop protection
    - this means I want a case that won't damage the iphone, that would defeat the purpose of the case

2. Something that doesn't add a lot of bulk

3. I want access to all ports, buttons, and touch screen. (I want minimal case coverage of the home button or area around home button & ear piece)

4. Reliable- I obviously don't want something that I will have to replace every month or so.

This is what I've narrowed it down to:
    1. Seidio Innocase-
    (http://www.seidioonline.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=936)
    2. Agent 18 iPhone Shield- (http://www.agent18.com/scripts/prodview2.asp?idproductpages=21)
    3. SwitchEasy Capusle-(http://www.switcheasy.com/iPhone.htm)

So lets hear your opinion; which case would satisfy my needs?

2. amanda kathryn macrumors regular

hands down, incase.

[​IMG]

i have one on my ipod touch, it's wonderful, and i know several people with them on their iphone.

3. dkthepk thread starter macrumors newbie

Err..

:(
    Well first of all that wasn't one of the cases I have decided I want. Second, I don't want a silicon case because it won't come out of pockets easily, lint/dust/etc. gets caught on it and trapped in it easily which leads to abrasions on phone. I know this because I have one on my ipod. Yuck, I'll think twice before going with a silicon case again.

4. mchank macrumors regular

I had the clear Agent 18 case; I liked it but the plastic was very slick and made the iphone feel more slippery than with the case off. I'm personally waiting for this case to show up in my local Apple Store:

http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/slider-case-cl59044

It was just released and seems very similar to the Agent 18 case, but better as it has rubber bumpers which should give a little extra drop protection than the Agent 18.

5. amanda kathryn macrumors regular

which silicone case do you have? because this is not that sticky silicone like most floppy stretchy ipod cases. this is a hard rubber almost, i've never had a piece of lint or fur or anything stick to it, unlike my iSkin evo3 on my ipod video, that's the sticky kind that collects everything.

i'd take a look at it before you discount it.

6. dkthepk thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I was looking at that but I heard it was a bit of tight fit. Don't get me wrong I was going to drop the cash as soon as I saw it. Its gorgeous.

But what I'm looking for is advice on which of the cases listed would work best. Not what your favorite one is.:)

7. amanda kathryn macrumors regular

why are you listing your criteria if you're not open to anything else but what you've listed? just pick one of those if you don't care what other people have to offer from real life experience with them.

the incase will fit your criteria more than the ones you listed, but you don't seem to be open to it.

8. ~*allison*~ macrumors regular

I think the incase is great, I'm waiting for it to hit my local Apple store as well. For now I have the Agent 18 clear case. It's alright, but I'm looking forward to the little extra padding on the inside for extra support. I still need to find a clip case/pouch that either one of those will fit into. :p IMO, if your just going to shoot down what people have to offer, don't ask the question. I agree with amanda. The incase definitely meets your criteria. I already have an Agent 18 case, and don't get me wrong, I think it's great. But I think the incase is better. So take it as you will. :p

9. mchank macrumors regular

I've never had experience with any other them except the Agent 18 one, but I've read that the Switcheasy was terrible as it was designed to be used with its own clear "cover" which doesn't stick to the iphone glass like a film so there's space in-between which cuts down on the touch sensitivity. Ilounge.com has review on it.

10. yOyOYoo macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

Of those 3 cases I would go with the innocase.

I tried the Agent 18. The case scratches the iPhone! And it is extra bulky and as a previous poster mentioned, makes the iPhone slipperier than without the case!!

I own the SwitchEasy Capsule, I don't like it because I feel like the "switch" is cheaply made and the provided screen protectors don't work well. I liked this case at first, just after use, the case began to become flimsy. I do however like this case more than the Agent 18, which really is a poorly made case IMHO.

Good luck and let us know what case you go with!!

11. lozanoj83 macrumors 6502a

lozanoj83

How about a Griffin Reflect?
    I have one and I love it... =]

[​IMG]

12. dkthepk thread starter macrumors newbie

its down to the Incase slider or the Innocase by seidio

the Innocase looks pretty sweet and its a little rubbery (but not too rubbery). However, I've heard stories of it coming apart when dropped, which kind of defeats the purpose of using it as a shock absorber.[​IMG]

the Incase slider is the epitome of iPhone sex appeal. It also has "rubber guardrails [that] provide shock absorption in addition to impact and scratch prevention." It is also available through Target (so I hear) which is more convenient and will probably end up being cheaper. I'm worried it will damage my phone, but it appears that very few cases don't scratch or scuff the iPhone.[​IMG]

So I guess its going to come down to whether or not my local Target has a white Incase slider in stock.
    Thanks for your help everyone, I didn't mean to be closed minded, I was just looking for people with personal experience with the mentioned cases. :)

13. ~*allison*~ macrumors regular

I've also heard that about the Seidio Innocase. I looked on the Target website and only saw the rubber Incase and the leather one's for the iPhone. But let me know what you come up with. My Target sucks (but it's still new so maybe it will start getting more stock). IMO I think the Incase slider is better. But that's just my two cents. :eek:

Some people have tried putting a little tape around the chrome bezel part to help with the scratching problem. I read that somewhere I think. I managed to shove my Agent 18 case on after installing an IS. I'm just WAY to anal about scratches and scuffs...as with any case you choose, you're still gonna have to take it off and clean it every so often. That definitely helps.

14. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I know it gets a bad rap around here, but I'm a big fan of the Agent 18 Eco Shield. It adds minimal bulk, and I dig the way the bottom slides off for docking. It's a nice, tight fit too.

But that white one is looking pretty sweet too. Anybody know how the thickness compares to the Agent 18?

15. dkthepk thread starter macrumors newbie

The incase website says the slider is 1mm thick, I don't know how that compares to the agent 18 case but I hope that helps.

16. rustyhurly999 macrumors newbie

Check out http://switcheasy.com/iPhone.htm

I got the black one. I don't use their plastic covers with it though... The touch screen won't work well if you put those on. I just use the crystal screen protector I got at the Apple Store. This is the best case I've seen. I have friends with the Agent 18 and this is a little less bulky... and I think more secure. I don't like the silicone cases because they stretch over time and the phone isn't very snug inside. Hope that helps!

17. MikieMikie macrumors 6502a

I can't believe than any of these offer anywhere near the protection the thinnest & worst sleeve case offers.

There is no way to protect the screen with one of these cases.

Take a look at some cases that offer some real protection if that's what you're interested in.

18. makismagoo99 macrumors regular

makismagoo99

I just picked up the Agent 18 case along with a pack of power support crystal film screen protectors. They are a fantastic duo! You can't even tell the protector is on the screen and it was super easy to apply. The case doesn't add much bulk and gives you access to all the ports/buttons. Check out the ratings for both at the Apple Online Store.

19. dkthepk thread starter macrumors newbie

I have had a silicon case for my iPod and I've HATED it. It stretches out, it collects lint, dust, etc., it SCRATCHES my iPod because of the dust and other particles collected, and last but not least, it takes a feat of agility to remove it from my pocket.

As for the notion that it doesn't give screen protection, the edges of these cases come up over the screen which helps protect it when it falls on the screen. AND I've already decided to buy PowerSupport film for the screen. That, however, has nothing to do with the information I'm searching for in this thread.

Real protection is not my only criteria, as stated in my first post. Which is why I have decided on a hard case as opposed to silicon.

20. applewaree macrumors newbie

The best case is Agent 18 eco iphone case by covercase

Here is the the case: http://www.covercase.com/category.php?cid=62&pcid=36&browseby=62

[​IMG]

21. amanda kathryn macrumors regular

your reasoning is totally backwards. a hard case is going to end up scratching it up, a rubberized case is going to flex with it. a hard case has no shock absorbsion, a rubberized case is going to protect it against bumps and short falls. a hard case will add more bulk, and not as much grip.

i'm NOT talking about the cheap sticky walmart silicone variety. my incase collects NO lint, fuzz, dust, fur, anything, it's NOT the sticky material that the iSkin on my ipod video is. i've taken it off and the back is just as perfect as the day i put the case on, and there was no debris collected in the case itself.

i still don't even understand why you posted this, you have no interest in what anyone has to say.

22. dkthepk thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought the Incase Slider.

Thanks again for your help everyone

23. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Pics!

24. ~*allison*~ macrumors regular

Good choice! I'm going to get one too, but I refuse to pay the ridiculous shipping charges.