Help me decide on a new 27" iMac or Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RestUnknown, Jun 5, 2012.

  1. RestUnknown macrumors regular

    Aug 25, 2011
    I know, another 'what should I choose' thread... But I really can't decide.

    Currently I have a Macbook Pro pre-unibody running on a 23" external monitor. It's about 4,5 years old (actually 3 because of the 8600M GT issue and got a new motherboard). But it still does it job very well for normal surfing, school work, etc...

    What I like about the iMac is it's design and the huge screen. If I'd go for the Macbook Pro, I'd go for the cheapest 15". But how are they compared performance wise? Keep in mind I will wait after they're updated, but I guess the difference in performance between these two would stay about the same.
    I do not really need the performance but I do like to play an occassional game like Flight Simulator/Assassins Creed/Grand Theft Auto and I think it will be better (and in the case of heat produced, more healthier) on an iMac?

    I will go for the iMac if I would know my MBP would still keep doing it's job for a couple of years. I need a laptop for music purposes, so if I buy an iMac and the laptop would fail shortly after that, I'll have a problem. Or should I buy the iMac, sell the MBP and buy a brand new (cheapest) Macbook Air?
    But how much would it still fetch for 120gb, 4gb ram and 2.2ghz? And will anybody buy it?

    Damn you Apple for making such devices.
  2. RedCroissant, Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012

    RedCroissant Suspended

    Aug 13, 2011
    I would just find a previous generation 27" iMac(one is available now that accepts MDP input) That way, you get to keep using your MBP because it still does what you want well enough to keep using it, and you save money by getting a machine that accepts video input. So maybe if you're saving money, clone your MBP HD and put that on a partition on the iMac and if anything goes wrong with your MBP, you'll have the info and enough money to get a MBA.

    You can also use the iMac I'm talking about for video input from video game consoles. Pretty awesome.

    And as long as you have all the paperwork for the work done on your MBP if you do in fact decide to sell it, then it should be fine and sellable. To give you advice on the possible price or at least how much I would pay for it, I would need to know more information about it. Display size, battery condition, condition in general, current version of OS X, any accessories coming with it, original box/packaging...
  3. RestUnknown thread starter macrumors regular

    Aug 25, 2011
    Thanks for the info!

    The second hand ones will do very nicely yes, but probably when they come with the new lines, I'll be sold...
    I recently sold my PS3, just because of the reason I don't play that often. Nice though it accepts video input, didn't know it could do that.

    Further specs are: 15" inch, recently new adapter, battery state 61% with about 260 cycles, latest OS X version. Condition in general good, S.M.A.R.T. is still excellent, you can see it's 4,5 years (serious 'dust burns' where the vents are). But further nothing, no dents (never fell), but normal scratches at the bottom of sliding it around.
    Still have the box it came in as well as the install dvd's.

    But yeah currently it's the option of an iMac and the MBA.

    Again, thanks!
  4. RestUnknown thread starter macrumors regular

    Aug 25, 2011
  5. roland.g macrumors 603


    Apr 11, 2005
    I have a 27" iMac and it is fantastic. I would get the 27" when they get updated this month or next. Then I would wait for the MacBook Airs that come out this summer to hit the refurb store, probably by Sept/Oct at some point and sell the MBP and get an 11" or 13" refurb Air. You could always wait longer on that or go with a refurb of last summer's Air and save a bit more that way too.
  6. RestUnknown thread starter macrumors regular

    Aug 25, 2011
    Refurb is quite a good idea. Even for the 27", IF I can wait that long.
    Will you go for the 11" MBA? I'm actually a bit afraid it's going to be too small, I have an iPad so it's not that much bigger. I'll be only using it for music and perhaps some work in school, but still
  7. roland.g macrumors 603


    Apr 11, 2005
    I bought a new 27" last summer when they were updated (actually after Lion was released). And I have a 2008 unibody MacBook (no firewire) that I am going to sell in the next 2 weeks and replace with a new Air. I am back in school and so I need a laptop. I love the idea that the 11" is even lighter, but I think it may be too small. So I will probably go with the 13". I thought about buying the 11" and exchanging it within 2 weeks if I couldn't take the size, but I just don't know. I really need to look at them in person more. I too have an iPad and agree that the 11" just isn't that much bigger. I am leaning to the 13" for my uses.

Share This Page