Help me decide on a new mac!!

swingline

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2005
80
0
I was planning on purchasing an imac after the core2 duo update but now i'm wondering if I should go a different route.

I currently have a 15" g4 powerbook 1.5 ghz and a xbox 360. How do they relate you might ask? Well I was thinking of buying a samsung 24" monitor so that I can use it as a PC monitor AND a hdtv monitor for the 360. So, I am now wondering if i should sell my powerbook, which will fetch maybe around 800 or more) and buy the macbook pro 2 ghz with a samsung 24" monitor (about $800).

or perhaps I should just buy a 20" imac and buy a samsung 26" htv ($400) ?

OR maybe there is another option??? give me some suggestions guys! I'm quite indecisive at the moment!

ps - i will mainly be using the machine to run adobe cs2
 

swingline

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2005
80
0
oh and I can always get a new macbook pro if i dropped my powerbook at school and claim insurance, as others have done, but that's disgusting.
 

Fotograffiti

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2006
65
0
Wisconsin
If you don't need the portability of a laptop the 20 inch iMac would work perfectly. I bought one shortly after they were released and have really nothing but good things to say about it. I use it for pretty much everything as well as quite a bit of work with Photoshop. From what I can tell from reading forums and articles from various websites, the iMac has a better track record of not having problems when compared with the latest round of notebooks. I would like to get a Macbook Pro when they get a processor update, but not until more problems get fixed and as long as I don't have to get rid of my iMac to afford it. Another advantage of getting the IMac is that the starting price is lower so you can upgrade the specs a little more to get a better machine. Of course if you need to carry your computer around alot then your options would be limited to a laptop. Whichever you decide on I would definitely wait a month to see if what gets updated.
 

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
10,635
0
Working for MI-6
Dont Hurt Me said:
You got to do whats right for you but I would wait and see what Apple shows the next month or so. They have a lot models due for updates.

I agree, don't do anything until after Apple releases the Core 2 Duo based iMacs, MacBook Pros, etc...., in September (hopefully that is when they release them).


I would probably go with option #2 if I had to pick a computer setup now- the ability to have a mobile machine is important in my opinion. :)