Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shotgun OS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 18, 2006
Ohio
Not sure to put this under the buying tips or what; just seems that i may get more people with iPhone experience here. Also, warning: long paragraphs ahead.

Heres my situation:
I desperately need a phone with a data plan. I currently have a T-mobile prepaid phone, and recently have been burning through 100 minutes within a few days. Also, my phone is the most outdated thing to ever be seen in public. It has no function to me besides a phone and texting.
Now, today, I was thinking about getting an iPhone(of course I wanted one before, but whatever.) The cheapest plan is $60 bucks and the phone itself is $500.(More than I'm willing to pay.) I would use the iPhone as a half-assed replacement of both my iPod 30 gig and my phone during each day(I'd still use the 30 gig daily, too.) I'd use the internet for checking mail and doing searches on Google when I m away.

Here's the big problem: I have barely any money to buy the phone, let alone pay the plan. I have a very small job and work 2 hours a day on weekdays at $8 an hour, and I make about $70 a week. To pay for the iPhone, I would have to delve into my bank account and gank $500. I would also be sacrificing a weeks earnings to pay for my phone plan. Whats worse, I go back to school in a week: Meaning no weekday work. I would go into work on Saturday for 8 hours to make up for my missed weekly pay.

The main question I'm asking is: Is the iPhone worth this sacrifice and effort?

Will the iPhone stand the test of time in 2 years, and still be worth it?
Are you happy with your phone?
If you were me, would you make bite the cash bullet?
Other Q's:
I heard that by fudging the credit stuff on the iPhone, you could get a half-arsed prepaid iPhone plan thats 10$ cheaper. Is this true/worth it?
Does having WiFi on all day kill the battery?
And of course, is texting easy? How long does it take to get used to?

I know theres a lot to read there, but I really, really appreciate all(any) answers/responses I may get. I would like to make my decision in the next 3 days, because I will be going to the Apple Store to pick up some other things. Thanks a ton!

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
i love my iphone, but that really isn't the point. i don't think you can quite afford an iphone, and i really wouldn't bother trying until you can comfortably pay for it. a phone plan would be a week's pay, and you'd be working the other three weeks for everything else like food and other expenses. get a better job or wait until you're out of school.

Joshua8o8

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Honolulu, Hawai'i
im not going to lie the iphone is really good, but it is not a necessity. I dont mean to sound rude but i think if i was in your situation i would not get the phone. I know it would take a lot of will power to stop myself from getting it but i would certainly try. $500+ is really going to be painful when you have to take it out of your bank account.

To answer your questions more specifically...

Im not sure what kind of shape my iphone will be in, in 2009... i had my nextel for two years, and well... it wasnt looking to hot. Then again with the capabilities of software updates who knows, the iphone might stay good as new, who knows?

im not sure about the credit question, but if your going to pay $500+ for the iphone wouldnt you want to be activated to its full potential?

Wi-Fi on all day will definetly drain the battery a lot faster than not having it on would. But you can always turn it off and turn it back on when you need it.

And texting is really easy, it only took me about four or five days to get comfortable with the keyboard. A problem i face with my iphone is that my spell correcting software does not always work, and its hard to get every letter correct all the time. But when the spell correcting software does work its terrific.

hope this helps! sorry its so long. i tried to keep it as condensed as possible.

j00d

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2007
forget it.

200 txt msg's / 450 min talk (5k nights/weekends)

you are wayyyy too poor for an iphone

buy the next one, you'll have a better phone and the iphone flaws won't be as aggravating

jersey

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2007
Just get one of the free phones, with the 39.99 plan and 4.99 for 200 texts. Then you have a new phone, and the $500+ you were going to spend on an iphone pays for the plan for the next 10 months.

It doesnt sound like the iphone is right for you. The initial bill, with activation, will be at least $90. And if you're only making $70 a week, there are more important things you should be spending your money on.

Shotgun OS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 18, 2006
Ohio
Thanks for the the responses everyone. I've been convinced to not get an iPhone. I'll take what money I have right now and get iLife '08 and a new keyboard instead like I planned. :)

Thanks again!

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
Thanks for the the responses everyone. I've been convinced to not get an iPhone. I'll take what money I have right now and get iLife '08 and a new keyboard instead like I planned. :)

Thanks again!

Smart move, spend less now and you'll have more money later!
And when you feel you can easily afford an iPhone it will be a newer generation!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.