Help me decide on my 13" rMBP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by greenythebeast, Oct 23, 2013.

1. greenythebeast macrumors regular

I'm trying to decide on which 13" rMBP I should get. I've narrowed it down to 3 choices and I was hoping you guys could help me figure out which one has the best bang/buck. The choices are:

[​IMG]

What do you guys think?

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

First option pretty much provides the best value. But other than that, you need to consider your processor/RAM/storage requirements.

3. Jaben3421 macrumors regular

If you can find one, definitely get 16GB RAM first if you plan on keeping it for a while. Personally I would recommend 2.4 or 2.6GHz depending on budget and availability, with 16GB of ram and 256GB SSD for 13". Of course it's a more customized order, and I don't know if you want base or BTO. That's all up to you. If I had to get one of those three I would go with the 1st. It's an all around good computer, and will serve you well.

4. greenythebeast thread starter macrumors regular

Makes sense. Does anyone think an extra 256GB of storage and the bump in processor is worth $285?

5. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Only if you need it.

6. greenythebeast thread starter macrumors regular

What Jaben3421 says makes sense. I can do the 13" with 2.6GHz, 16GB RAM, and 256GB for $1722.78 from MacMall. Or I can do the 13" with 2.6GHz, 8GB RAM, and 512GB for $1709.05 from Amazon. I don't think I need the extra HDD space (can always get a super fast external) so I'm guessing the former is the best choice?

7. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

Where are you finding those prices on Amazon & MacMall? Are you sure they are for the new Haswell models? Well, I guess the MacMall one has to be since the Ivy Bridge 13" couldn't come with 16 GB of RAM, unless you are looking at the classic MBP, not the MBP with Retina...

8. greenythebeast thread starter macrumors regular

I get 5% back from Amazon through my CC.

9. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Are you that strapped for cash? Why not order directly from Apple? Honestly, someone should really think about what their spec requirements are, and also their budget. Just saying that you seem to be all over the place.

10. greenythebeast thread starter macrumors regular

No, I'm not strapped for cash. But why would I order from Apple if I can get the same product cheaper elsewhere? What possible logic could bring you to that conclusion?

11. bleedblue12345 macrumors newbie

16GB is probably unnecessary unless you are ruling doing a lot of apps simultaneously. Personally I'd go with the 2.6/512GB but that's just me.

12. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

What will you be using your macbook for? How can anyone even remotely "guess" what is best for your needs with the information you've provided?

You've been here since 2008 and should know how this works. Yes? No?

13. Leudast macrumors member

I'm deciding on a 13" as well, and would jut like to tack onto this thread instead of making my own.

I can't decide if the i7 + 16GB is worth it for me. I'm going with the 256GB SSD, as I don't think I'll need much more, and that can at least be upgraded in a few years if necessary.

Would photoshop benefit from an i7 or 16GB of RAM more? I'm mostly going to be websurfing, writing, and excel work on this machine. I would however like to venture into photo editing.

14. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Yes. 16GB helps with photo apps. Especially if you will be using LightRoom/Aperture in conjunction with PhotoShop and large RAW files.

The i7 not so much. I doubt you'd notice.