Help me decide on the right Mac product

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ArkRoyal, Oct 8, 2012.

1. ArkRoyal macrumors newbie

I'd like to buy a mac product within the next 0-4 months. I keep bouncing back and forth between the Air, the Pro 13, 15 and even the retina. I'd really appreciate some wisdom.

Current Computer: Fujitsu Lifebook S Series spec'ed with a Core 2 Due @ 2Ghz, 3GB Ram and a 80GB HD. Purchased in late 2007, this premium ultralight/thin notebook marketed towards the business professional was purchased for over $2000. It's taken very thorough beatings throughout its life, but has never failed in any aspect. It will be given to my father, where I expect it to continue working flawlessly for years. I highly recommend Fujitsu to anyone in the premium PC market.

[​IMG]

How I use my computer:These days, I use my computer hooked up to a 24 inch external monitor as at the primary (and only) display about 85% of the time. In the future I might need to be portable more often, but will still primarily use it hooked up to an external.

What I use my computer for: Primarily for web surfing, youtubing and emails. I have recently taken up programming as a hobby and occasionally use Photoshop for editing, but never complex multi-layer massive files. It is very rare for me to game, however I'm very much so looking forward to Sim City 5. I'd like my replacement computer to do a reasonably good job running that game.

Price Range: I'm willing to pay for something that will serve me well. However, I don't want to pay for horsepower I'd never use. Obviously the less money I spend, the happier I'll be.

Time frame: Although I'd love to pick something up now, waiting for a few months is something I can do if something well suited for me needs is coming down the pipe.

2. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    rMBPro will tick all the boxes for you.
    you could wait a while and see if a 13" version comes out before year's end, but if you're keen now, that would be my recommendation

3. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

If you are going to use external monitors with it 85% of the time.
    I'm recommending the base 15 mbp.

4. ArkRoyal thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies - why the 15 inch over the 13 for my needs?

5. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

Macbook Air, best laptop I've ever owned, period.

After you have an Air, you'll never carry around another "full size" laptop again. I'd go to an Apple store and do a serious comparison between the Pro and Air, especially if you are going to be mobile.

The reduced weight makes an enormous difference.

6. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Macbook Air 13 would be best suited for you. This laptop will already do circles around your current laptop at almost half the price. The RMBP 15 is overkill for your needs.

7. EnigMoiD macrumors member

Why are you recommending one of Apple's most expensive notebooks? The OP isn't prioritizing a nice screen, or lots of power, and he'd be happy to spend less money.

Go for the base 11inch air. It was just upgraded and should do a fine job of running Sim City 5 with the Intel HD 4000 and i5. With the SSD it's crazy fast for day-to-day tasks. If you need the extra screen space or don't think you could adjust to a smaller screen (test one out first), go for the 13" air. They're both great machines and you may find yourself becoming more mobile just because it's so easy. But between the recent upgrade and the speed of SSD's, I wouldn't recommend anything in the regular pro line.

8. Jon P D macrumors newbie

Maybe cuz they were already considering a 13" Air/Pro and 15" retina...best of both worlds.

9. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    this is why: (and I quote the OP here) I'd like to buy a mac product within the next 0-4 months. I keep bouncing back and forth between the Air, the Pro 13, 15 and even the retina. I'd really appreciate some wisdom.

and just today MacRumors carries an article that the 13" rMBPro is still on track for a Q4 2012 release
    http://goo.gl/9a8QC