Help me decide on which capacity

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BBQ BOY, Jun 18, 2010.

1. BBQ BOY macrumors regular

I currently have a 3G and am wanting the iPhone 4. I pre-ordered one for my wife in 32G. Why? Simply because I have no idea how much space the HD video will eat up.We have 2 children with a 3rd on the way and I would hate to run out of space at an important time.
    Now with me needing one now since my phone has had it I am wondering if I need that much space. Will a 16G be sufficient? I currently have 2.25G of space available. I do not see that climbing that much since I only add a couple of songs here and there and rarely add Apps. However HD video will be in use.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. scwinsett macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

I have a 16GB 3GS and I always have plenty of space, so I'm sticking with the 16GB iPhone 4. You can always reconfigure the music on it, but chances are youll never need 32GB at any one time

3. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

You have 2GB left of what? 16GB?

If it's 2GB left of 16GB, I would say get the 32GB. You'll presumably have the phone a couple of years, HD vids take up more space, etc. If it's 2GB of 8GB, the 16GB should do you just fine.

4. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

5. BBQ BOY thread starter macrumors regular

6. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

How can we help you? I have 63GB of music on my computer. Obviously I'm going to want more space, so I'm getting a 32. How much space you need is dependent on your needs.

7. California King macrumors 65816

8. XLR8 macrumors regular

I am wondering the same thing. I was all ready to get a 32GB but am second guessing it. I guess my logic is a more capable phone that I will have for a while with room to grow should probably be 32GB. On the other hand I've never owned a smart phone before so maybe I won't store as much as I think I will?

9. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Well, nowadays... 32gb is easy to fill. With 720p video recording and more and more music to download, I'd say 32gb is looking good. People just need to weigh their options. "Do I have an extra $100 to spend?", "Will I record video/movies?", "Do I have tons of music?", etc.

10. hipvamore macrumors regular

if you can spare the extra $100 go for the 32GB. wouldnt hurt. think of it as an investment for the next couple years. and think of all the wonderful videos of your new child on that stunning phone!

11. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

each hour of video recorded will eat up 4.75 GB.

you can do the math from there.

12. BConvery macrumors regular

I keep no music on my current 16G 3G iPhone. There's really no reason as I stream it form my Mac Pro using simplify Media and I'm sure there are other solutions as well. I went with the 32g just for the HD video. I have one child and I didn't want to be constantly moving small clips due to a space limitation. Something tells me, once I realize how incredibly convenient it is to have an HD camera in my pocket all the time, I'll be using it a lot.

13. Shyfty macrumors member

When I got my 16GB 3GS I figured I would just be selective when putting music on it, but my needs eventually outgrew the phone's capacity. I ended up shelling out cash for a 32GB model and giving the other one to my girlfriend.

When I sign a new contract I'm definitely going for the largest capacity, especially as I am often required to show audio or video I have created at a moment's notice.

14. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

I ended up getting the 32 gb, For just $100, I can worry less about space restrictions. I Currently use only 9gb on my 32gb 3gs, but With HD video, and The fact I'm actually getting into music now. (Never owned an iPod before the original phone.) It took me a few years to build up a library, and get into music in general. And I may get a gps app for my phone that will eat several GB in maps.

I figured it has a higher resale value also, and I somehow feel better knowing I have the highest & best model available ? sad/weird.. but true.

15. neworleans-7 macrumors regular

neworleans-7

I'm getting the 16GB. I have over 50GBs of music alone so I don't plan on getting this phone to fill to capacity anyway. I have a iPod Classic with 120GB that I'll max out :). I'll most likely put about 5GBs of music on it & leave the rest to everything else.

16. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

Don't forget camera are 5mp which means pic size are bigger

17. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

With that knowledge, I'd say you'll be okay with a 16GB. That's plenty of extra space for apps and HD video. If money is no object, get the 32GB, but if you've been happy with 8GB, doubling should be more than enough.

18. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Do you have $100 extra to spend? Yes? Get the 32. No? Dont get the 32.

19. Chromus macrumors regular

I don't understand why everyone is concerned about space for video. Is it not possible to transfer your video from the phone to your computer? After you record the video, transfer it to your computer and you'll still have plenty of space!

20. Carlsbad macrumors newbie

QFT

21. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

Exactly. I clear my phone out on a weekly basis. I make sure that any music thats getting stale, movies, and video is cleared off and updated with new material. Its the apps that push me to go to 32GB but even still I usually hae about 18 GB free for extra stuff.

22. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Always go for latest and greatest if you can afford to do so.

23. Jemi9OD macrumors regular

Jemi9OD

Get the best you can afford. You'll rarely regret getting the more expensive version at any time other than immediately upon purchase. IE: I can imagine, at purchase, an extra $100 being a big deal - but six to eight months down the road, I don't see you saying to yourself "Man, I sure wish I had gotten the 16GB instead of the 32GB! Stupid extra gigabytes!"

24. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Rule of thumb on 720p HD video 30fps is 1GB = 1.5hrs. Of course there are other factors like compression, etc.

25. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Eh? I have no idea what you got that calculation from. That's more like 480p recording from 3Gs, though even thats over a gig an hour already, more like 1.5GB/hour. As others earlier in thread already pointed out, we have a sample video now, and it works out at ~4.5GB/hour on iphone 4.

Even high quality CPU encoded material where the compression can be done much better is more than 1gb for an hour at 720p, to keep a reasonable quality.