Help me decide please, Thanks!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by AstroDrew, Sep 8, 2016.

?

Which Apple Watch should I buy?

1. Space Gray Aluminum

37.5%
  2. Stainless Steel Black

62.5%
  1. AstroDrew macrumors regular

AstroDrew

Hey guys and gals. Help me decide. I've decided to pre-order AW2 tomorrow morning. I just can't decide between the two I like. I am getting a 42mm version however I am concern bout durability and fashion.

Durability - because I have a pretty active life style. I am up 4AM and go to bed around 10PM .. I work really early because I have two kids and I pick them up from school in the afternoon. In between that there's lots of playtime, exercise outside the house, cleaning the kids, homework and dinner.

Fashion - because I work in an office and I wear a suit most of the time, go to meeting and of course when I'm out with my wife we like to wear something nice.

So, I'm torn between the Space Gray Aluminum and the Stainless Steel Black.

This is my first AW so. I'll let you guys decide for me, specially those who have own the 1st series :) Thank you!

2. rpearlberg macrumors 6502a

Exact same situation for me. Fairly active, two kids, etc...but also dress up for work and if we go out to dinner, etc.

I was looking at Space Gray or Silver.

3. ruffage macrumors member

Order them both. Send one back within 14 days. Sorted.

4. rneglia macrumors 6502

rneglia

I'm in the same boat. Trying to decide between aluminum and steel on the AW Series 2. I'm leaning towards the aluminum due to weight (and price, if i'm honest).

5. JSPerry macrumors newbie

JSPerry

Similar situation. Torn between space gray and silver aluminum. Stainless is out of the equation for me due to weight and price.

6. profets macrumors 68040

Go for the stainless steel / sapphire (space black). I was torn when the original launched (between aluminum and SS) and quite happy I went with SS. I'm quite active and this watch has taken quite a few knocks.

Another reason I went SS instead of aluminum at the time. Much easier to dress it up.

Bingo, lol. I did the same thing.

7. snatefinch macrumors member

I am torn as well. The aluminum is apparently less scratch resistant in the casing and better in sunlight, but the stainless steel is more prone to scratches on the body, but less prone on the glass, while the screen isn't as good in sunlight.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 8, 2016 ---
    How has the black SS help up scuff wise? That and it not being great in direct sunlight are my hold ups

8. rpearlberg macrumors 6502a

so the glass is different depending on the case?

9. AstroDrew thread starter macrumors regular

AstroDrew

Yes,

Ion-X Glass on Aluminum

Sapphire Glass on Stainless Steel

.....About $200 difference in price :(

10. rpearlberg macrumors 6502a

Ahhh...i'm new to these watches and obviously haven't done much research!! I just thought the price difference was the case material.

Thanks!

11. KrisLord macrumors 65816

I've been wearing the space grey sport with the black leather loop and it looks fine when wearing a shirt and tie.

12. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

I never understand the weight concern. The difference in weight with equal bands is the weight of an average men's wedding ring. My wife wouldn't let me wear a string or no ring because of weight. :)
    --- Post Merged, Sep 8, 2016 ---
    If money isn't a deciding factor, definitely SS Black. More durable as well. I'm very active and put my SS through weight lifting and all kinds of yard work. Not a scratch on the screen and I have hit weights and more.

Also, way more professional looking.

13. profets macrumors 68040

I actually have the regular SS. Though I've always heard good things about the black SS in terms of not scratching easily.

14. AstroDrew thread starter macrumors regular

AstroDrew

Really starting to lean towards SS now.

15. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Buy the SS. The sapphire crystal alone is worth it and the SS is more durable overall.

16. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

I'm wondering the same thing. And it looks like they eliminated the $500-600ish models that were stainless steel, so I'm not worrying about those anymore.

For the phones and iPads I do white/silver. But for the watch, I sort of feel like black looks better...but I don't know which is "classier", if either.

17. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

No, they didn't. The SS Series 2 starts at 549 for 38mm and 599 for 42mm, just like the SS models started out last year.

Recheck the Apple Store. They're there. :)

In fact, the Black SS model is the one the OP is referring to.

18. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

I'm stuck not knowing which one to get either. Had the silver aluminum, but always wanted black SS. But don't really want to spend the money, so leaning towards the aluminum with a knockoff black milanese loop...

19. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I'm planning on aluminum with a tempered glass screen protector. Too big a price difference for me.

If money isn't an option I'd go stainless. Sapphire screen and all.

20. AstroDrew thread starter macrumors regular

AstroDrew

Do you know if the screen protector wraps around the screen or it's just a top off?

21. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I'm looking at reviews on amazon. There is a company called ivapo that has caught my eye. The product looks pretty good. There's another company that has something that looks almost as good. St least in pics but I forgot the name.

Edit: that second one is called suptech

22. rneglia macrumors 6502

rneglia

I went to the Apple Store yesterday and compared all the models to my Fitbit Blaze. They're all fatter and heavier. I'm going to stick with the Fitbit until I get some real world information on the Series 1 and Series 2 battery life.

23. pika2000 macrumors 68030

If you have the budget, the black stainless steel is a no brainer. It also fits better with most of the bands. The aluminum version is okay, but the color seems off on certain bands.

24. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

You may notice the weight at first but you won't after wearing it, its no heavier than an alternative analog watch. Honestly my battery held up awesome and gave me a full day. The only time was when I went on a 40km ride, at about 10pm I had to put it on the charger because it was under 10% which still isn't bad.

25. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

If you like to wear something nice then it's no brainer, Black SS only.