Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StoneCold X

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
I bought a SBSS Series 3 on launch day and love it (also had a SBSS Series 2). I came across a White Series 3 Edition at Best Buy and picked it up because I have been contemplating switching to ceramic and because they are difficult to come by.

I am a little torn about making the switch, mainly because I am not sure how much I will like wearing a white watch. Once I open it, there would be a restocking fee to return it.

What do you think? Should I stick with the SBSS and return the Edition, or should I keep the Edition and sell the SBSS?

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
Stainless Steel will most certainly go with everything ... Ceramic White, while stunning, will clash with some ... it is an inviting watch though, and a talking piece ... depends on where you stand. I prefer the Stainless for all the time use, while the Ceramic I would love for dressing up ...

Reactions: BrianSoCal

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
If it was the gray ceramic I’d say keep it! :) if cost isn’t an issue, I’d say go with the white ceramic, as you say they are hard to come by, and it would be an interesting experience. Also, if you end up not liking it, I would think you could sell it and not take a too much of a hit. I don’t have any data on that, just a hunch. I do know you would take a hit re-selling the stainless steel.

BrianSoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2011
Houston, TX
I have a white Edition series 2 and I was pretty anti-white watch before I took the plunge, I've been pleasantly surprised that I can change bands daily to match my dress shirt and still makes sense. I am not a fashion guy by any sense of the imagination, in fact my girlfriend matches my pants/shirts every Sunday for the week lol, but I feel I'm doing my part with the band/shirt combo.

I'm still strongly considering the ceramic grey or even the SS black, but haven't pulled the plug just yet on a series 3. I could just go with white again, but I could have grey, I could have black.....choices overload so I do nothing lol

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
I have a white Edition series 2 and I was pretty anti-white watch before I took the plunge, I've been pleasantly surprised that I can change bands daily to match my dress shirt and still makes sense. I am not a fashion guy by any sense of the imagination, in fact my girlfriend matches my pants/shirts every Sunday for the week lol, but I feel I'm doing my part with the band/shirt combo.

I'm still strongly considering the ceramic grey or even the SS black, but haven't pulled the plug just yet on a series 3. I could just go with white again, but I could have grey, I could have black.....choices overload so I do nothing lol
I don’t know many bands would go with ceramic gray, it’s a lighter color then Space Gray. But when I saw it in person with the gray sport band I wanted the ceramic gray. Since it was over $1k I automatically dismissed getting it. But maybe it’s not really that expensive … you get an extra year of warranty, you get a deluxe charger, and maybe resale value is much better than steel?!? If you sold your white ceramic AW2 how much do you think you’ll get? 70% of what you paid??

BigAppleNYC123

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2017
Helping you decide requires knowing what you value. Price? Do you care about weight? If money were no object, which would you get? the aluminum is easiest to see outdoors and is the lightest. The screen isn’t saffire though.

I ordered a series 3 aluminum and I love it so much I ordered a series 3 ceramic too! It is arriving Friday. I had a series 0 steel and I didn’t like the steel. I think aluminum is most popular overall but steel seems to be the Apple - People choice. Not me!
[doublepost=1507067366][/doublepost]
I just saw a pic of a white ceramic with a black link bracelet and it was stunning! Never thought I would like the white ceramic but it's got me thinking. (https://i.imgur.com/ydQtVdV.jpg)
Checkout this of the white with blue band

Attachments

• BF6C39F7-FAD1-445E-BCB2-CCAF3E1BB680.jpeg
    BF6C39F7-FAD1-445E-BCB2-CCAF3E1BB680.jpeg
    622.5 KB · Views: 274

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
Helping you decide requires knowing what you value. Price? Do you care about weight? If money were no object, which would you get? the aluminum is easiest to see outdoors and is the lightest. The screen isn’t saffire though.

I ordered a series 3 aluminum and I love it so much I ordered a series 3 ceramic too! It is arriving Friday. I had a series 0 steel and I didn’t like the steel. I think aluminum is most popular overall but steel seems to be the Apple - People choice. Not me!
[doublepost=1507067366][/doublepost]
Checkout this of the white with blue band
That looks good! Why two AWs? Why not just wear the white ceramic? I mean, when will you wear the aluminum vs. the ceramic? Last question, why don't you like the steel, simply too heavy?

BigAppleNYC123

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2017
That looks good! Why two AWs? Why not just wear the white ceramic? I mean, when will you wear the aluminum vs. the ceramic? Last question, why don't you like the steel, simply too heavy?
I personally came to dislike the silver steel, I felt It was too dark. I don’t like the feeling of the stainless steel link band Either, which you see as “SS/SB” in signatures. It feels like wearing handcuffs to me (millennial). If you’re coming from a Rolex you won’t mind it. But I tried it and it wasn’t for me (Series 0).

The aluminum is the best for exercising, due to the light weight and screen. Flip side bring it scratches easier. If you have to wear a suit and tie everyday the steel is probably better, but if you wear a button down and jeans, the aluminum is just fine for work.

The white ceramic might be a lot to bring to work everyday. A bit show offy.

I was between the ceramic and Hermès which is stainless steel, but I chose the ceramic because it is for going-out fashion, and in my view the white casing is more
Fashionable than any single Hermès band. The white looks amazing with a variety of different bands. The gray stainless steel and the gray ceramic only look good with maybe black, gray, red and white. I love Blue bands and can’t wait to put them on the white ceramic:

Attachments

• 05454A60-8B69-4767-AF26-E9A71720AC33.jpeg
    05454A60-8B69-4767-AF26-E9A71720AC33.jpeg
    539.6 KB · Views: 207
  • 962F1422-0117-49DC-BEB5-53C87E16C52D.jpeg
    962F1422-0117-49DC-BEB5-53C87E16C52D.jpeg
    622.5 KB · Views: 249

Devildog08

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2013
For those who have owned SS SB have you had any wear as far as the scratching or the silver finish underneath showing. I had original SS and loved it it to plenty of scratches but to me still looked good. I always wanted black though as that’s what I prefer. I hate that all my SS model leather bands ect don’t go with my SS SB but in reality I wore the sport black band 99% of the time and every blue moon a leather band so I think I will be fine. I am just worried about the finish on the SS SB because I wear my watch everywhere from woroking on my motorcyle or car or unloading a truck to whatever else and it gets banged on things not hard just brushes alot of things.

Last edited:

BrianSoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2011
Houston, TX
I don’t know many bands would go with ceramic gray, it’s a lighter color then Space Gray. But when I saw it in person with the gray sport band I wanted the ceramic gray. Since it was over $1k I automatically dismissed getting it. But maybe it’s not really that expensive … you get an extra year of warranty, you get a deluxe charger, and maybe resale value is much better than steel?!? If you sold your white ceramic AW2 how much do you think you’ll get? 70% of what you paid??

They’re going to $600-700 on eBay so I’d likely have to settle somewhere in between.

Devildog08

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2013
Are you sure BB won’t allow the return? I thought they only required restocking fees on certain items not the Apple stuff:

“Built-In Cooktops, Built-In Refrigerators, Built-In Wall Ovens, Drones, DSLR Cameras and Lenses, Mirrorless Cameras and Lenses, Projectors, Rideables and Special Order Products“ have the fee

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/help-t...cy/pcmcat260800050014.c?id=pcmcat260800050014
Are you sure BB won’t allow the return? I thought they only required restocking fees on certain items not the Apple stuff:

“Built-In Cooktops, Built-In Refrigerators, Built-In Wall Ovens, Drones, DSLR Cameras and Lenses, Mirrorless Cameras and Lenses, Projectors, Rideables and Special Order Products“ have the fee

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/help-t...cy/pcmcat260800050014.c?id=pcmcat260800050014

This is correct no restocking fee on any apple profucts at Best Buy.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
For those who have owned SS SB have you had any wear as far as the scratching or the silver finish underneath showing

I have owned the stainless steel space black and the factor that helps the watch look in it's pristine black condition, is the diamond like carbon coating. That makes a huge difference in protection against scratches and dings. To this day, my stainless steel space black is in mint condition and is almost in impervious to external damage.

My regular stainless steel Apple Watch doesn't even touch the level of protection that the stainless steel black has for comparison.

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
For space black id go with aluminum. If I wanted the silver watch I’d chooae stainless (for some reason aluminum SS looked really cheap) and if I wanted a luxury item I’d pick ceramic white not Hermes or grey.

Why SS SB over aluminum? In my comparison they didn’t really look all that different. Heavier and expensive , yes. But If you are trying to go for a dressy look (and want people to know what you have) I’m not sure anyone would care. Go with aluminum. (In SB. Silver one I can tell the difference) me, I have a SB series 2 aluminum.

I wanted the cheapest entry point to see if the watch was for me. Now that it’s absolutely an intricate part of my life, I’ll spring for a ceramic white (perhaps once series 4 rumors come out and to see if there’s any changes. For now LtE doesn’t work in my country of work so there’s no point upgrading. )

StoneCold X

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015

It says on the link you posted that there is a $35 restocking fee on cell phones and devices that can be activated. The Apple Watch can be activated, so I am pretty sure there would be a restocking fee.

This is correct no restocking fee on any apple profucts at Best Buy.

Is there somewhere where it says that Apple stuff is excluded?

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Careful with the white option. I used to collect another type of watch and the nicest model ever made was a limited edition pure white one. Craved it and got it gifted to me. Fantastic to look at, but felt off-key when worn. Immature even. Sold it off.

Some stuff is beautiful to look at, not so great to wear. That white ceramic Apple watch to me is a collectors piece, to be displayed. Would look the part in MOMA.

That said, if you're looking to make bold fashion statements, then those sort of models are the ones to go for. Most adults certainly don't have the confidence to pull it off. Teenagers can wear it without regard to any of that of course, it's expected of them that they'll experiment and dress interestingly.

Black stainless steel hits the mark in terms of looking more upmarket and being very wearable and customisable. Probably the best buy out of all options.

Personally I'm disappointed with the greys. Instead of looking stealthy, they look lacklustre and dull. Rarely really match any strap well, and certainly never as good as alu silver, SS, or BSS. The grey is for people on the fence and not sure what they want, or maybe timid about having a shiny object on their wrist, so the grey does have a place in the line-up.

Reactions: eVolcre and HeathH

StoneCold X

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
Stainless Steel will most certainly go with everything ... Ceramic White, while stunning, will clash with some ... it is an inviting watch though, and a talking piece ... depends on where you stand. I prefer the Stainless for all the time use, while the Ceramic I would love for dressing up ...

That is exactly my dilemna. I have owned a SBSS Series 2 and now Series 3, and I can wear it with anything and not worry about it. The white ceramic is a little different, and I don't know if I would be able to wear it as much as wear my SBSS now.

If it was the gray ceramic I’d say keep it! :) if cost isn’t an issue, I’d say go with the white ceramic, as you say they are hard to come by, and it would be an interesting experience. Also, if you end up not liking it, I would think you could sell it and not take a too much of a hit. I don’t have any data on that, just a hunch. I do know you would take a hit re-selling the stainless steel.

I thought about getting the gray ceramic but is a odd shade of gray and I don't think there would be many band colors that would look right with it.

I personally came to dislike the silver steel, I felt It was too dark. I don’t like the feeling of the stainless steel link band Either, which you see as “SS/SB” in signatures. It feels like wearing handcuffs to me (millennial). If you’re coming from a Rolex you won’t mind it. But I tried it and it wasn’t for me (Series 0).

The aluminum is the best for exercising, due to the light weight and screen. Flip side bring it scratches easier. If you have to wear a suit and tie everyday the steel is probably better, but if you wear a button down and jeans, the aluminum is just fine for work.

The white ceramic might be a lot to bring to work everyday. A bit show offy.

I was between the ceramic and Hermès which is stainless steel, but I chose the ceramic because it is for going-out fashion, and in my view the white casing is more
Fashionable than any single Hermès band. The white looks amazing with a variety of different bands. The gray stainless steel and the gray ceramic only look good with maybe black, gray, red and white. I love Blue bands and can’t wait to put them on the white ceramic:

I would never go with the aluminum version just because of the lack of saphire glass and the ease of which it could be damaged compared to the SS models.

For those who have owned SS SB have you had any wear as far as the scratching or the silver finish underneath showing. I had original SS and loved it it to plenty of scratches but to me still looked good. I always wanted black though as that’s what I prefer. I hate that all my SS model leather bands ect don’t go with my SS SB but in reality I wore the sport black band 99% of the time and every blue moon a leather band so I think I will be fine. I am just worried about the finish on the SS SB because I wear my watch everywhere from woroking on my motorcyle or car or unloading a truck to whatever else and it gets banged on things not hard just brushes alot of things.

Wore my SBSS Series 2 daily for almost a year, and it still looked as good as the day I bought it. Been wearing my SBSS daily for almost 2 weeks now and no issues with it all. They really hold up.

Reactions: Devildog08

HeathH

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
Honolulu, HI
The DLC coating on the SB is extremely durable.

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
Hmmm, ceramic resale is only a bit better than steel at around 50%.
Ceramic resale is not very good at all, neither is the SS really. I have had all of the types and honestly, the one that "holds value" the best is the aluminum. But you have to get what you like. I am going with the SS SB version this time as I liked it a lot when it came out with the Series 0, but never had a chance to get it.

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
Careful with the white option. I used to collect another type of watch and the nicest model ever made was a limited edition pure white one. Craved it and got it gifted to me. Fantastic to look at, but felt off-key when worn. Immature even. Sold it off.

Some stuff is beautiful to look at, not so great to wear. That white ceramic Apple watch to me is a collectors piece, to be displayed. Would look the part in MOMA.

That said, if you're looking to make bold fashion statements, then those sort of models are the ones to go for. Most adults certainly don't have the confidence to pull it off. Teenagers can wear it without regard to any of that of course, it's expected of them that they'll experiment and dress interestingly.

Black stainless steel hits the mark in terms of looking more upmarket and being very wearable and customisable. Probably the best buy out of all options.

Personally I'm disappointed with the greys. Instead of looking stealthy, they look lacklustre and dull. Rarely really match any strap well, and certainly never as good as alu silver, SS, or BSS. The grey is for people on the fence and not sure what they want, or maybe timid about having a shiny object on their wrist, so the grey does have a place in the line-up.

I’m wearing a salmon (pink hahaha) dress shirt with white pants at the moment. Seriously. :)

Might depend on profession etc as well. I’m an author and taichi instructor. Nonoffice to go to anymore and while I dress fairly simple (usually blue jeans and a white shirt) I like a dash of color in my eyeglasses, watch, shoes etc.

Immature part is have to see it in person before deciding but I think I could pull it off.

Funny thing is I actually got on the watch train fairly late. Just this spring and once I got my SB Aluminum didn’t really pay attention to anything else besides my ever growing band collection. I forget her name but the lady at the keynote in the funky overcoat had a white ceramic Apple Watch and it was lust for me. Heck I’m even posting in the ceramic owners thread here and I don’t even own one (yet). That’s the premium option that makes sense (for me). Stainless steel is heavier than mine for sports and to my eyes doesn’t stand out or make a statement. Hermes I mean it’s the same watch, a band and a face?? I can buy the band separately. The ceramic editions tick my boxes.

I’ve seen some amazing pics too. White ceramic with a black link bracelet, Milanese loop, red and blue leather loop, various sports bands. Let’s see what series 4 brings. I can wait a few months until rumors start popping up. If there aren’t any significant changes I’ll go for the series 3 white ceramic with red dot. Yep. I like the dot too.

Different tastes and styles. I’m glad there’s options for everyone. It’s truly a “magical” gadget. My airpods are second. The watch was the star of the keynote not the phone. I mean we’re at the point where phone improvements are incremental and don’t wow me as much.

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
Ceramic resale is not very good at all, neither is the SS really. I have had all of the types and honestly, the one that "holds value" the best is the aluminum. But you have to get what you like. I am going with the SS SB version this time as I liked it a lot when it came out with the Series 0, but never had a chance to get it.

Agreed, the resale on any of these is pretty horrendous. It seems better on the aluminum only because it doesn't have as far to fall. I originally went SS because I loved the look and figured it would be an item that would last a while, but seeing the drastic performance improvements so quickly, it's clear this is a device Apple means for you to update semi-regularly. At that rate, aluminum seems to make the most sense unless you are trust fund rich.

Reactions: eVolcre

BigAppleNYC123

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2017
I would never go with the aluminum version just because of the lack of saphire glass and the ease of which it could be damaged compared to the SS models.

I've read series 2 and series 3 aluminum hold up better than series 0. Not sure if that is true. iPhone 6 7 and 8 aren't sporting stainless steel or sapphire glass... I think if you take care of a sport watch, it should hold up just fine.

eVolcre

macrumors 68000
Jan 7, 2003
Agreed, the resale on any of these is pretty horrendous. It seems better on the aluminum only because it doesn't have as far to fall. I originally went SS because I loved the look and figured it would be an item that would last a while, but seeing the drastic performance improvements so quickly, it's clear this is a device Apple means for you to update semi-regularly. At that rate, aluminum seems to make the most sense unless you are trust fund rich.

I’d say if you’re going to drop serious cash series 3 or 4 is the one and should last you a few years. The iPhone took a decade to get here but now the X, 8 series and, for some, the 7 series aren’t essential upgrades. They’re nice extras for some specific use cases , or design or bragging rights. You can get by with a 6s or even a SE.

I think, and watch this post come bite me in the ass in two years, we’ll get to that point faster with the watch. LtE connectivity , better battery life, waterproofing and speed were all really expected as eventual upgrades. What’s next? More battery life, a slimmer form factor , FaceTime (?). Apple is a master of the upgrade and I may end up being first in line but I will reach a point that when the basics are covered I may not upgrade as fast as my phone. Especially if I have the white ceramic :) that does most of what I need it to do.

It’s a watch at the end of the day. Design , size, input limitations. For my use case it’s a glorified Notification Center , iPod, watch, news reader and navigation center. It lets me keep the phone in my pocket more. If it’s a bit slimmer with LtE (already here) I’m not sure I’d upgrade every two or even three years. The sheer variety of bands let’s me change the look up more than a phone or laptop so it doesn’t even get boring.

Time will tell. And if something incredible does come out I’d buy the cheapest aluminum option for the tech and keep the fancy one (SS ceramic Hermes etc) for the style. Perhaps even buy the tech one generation later when prices drop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.