iPad mini Help me decide to switch to mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by reno55, Dec 8, 2013.

1. reno55 macrumors member

I currently have an ipad 4 retina. I love it and use it often but mainly for movies, comic books, magazines (using documents by readdle), web browsing and basic stuff.

I am thinking of switching to a 32gb retina mini as I would like to start using it also as my day planner during work hours also and the form factor of the mini seems like it fits my needs better right now. I have a feww things holding me back:

1) Size - Will I have to pan around things alot when reading the things I do?

2) Web browsing...same as above alot of panning?

3) games do all the ios games that work on my ipad scale to the mini?

2. KPOM macrumors G5

Applications and websites scale perfectly. Remember, the resolution is identical, so it looks exactly the same as the larger iPad, except everything is proportionally smaller.

3. reno55 thread starter macrumors member

I guess the real question is how my magazines (documents app) and comic books in comic book lover will look

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

They look great. But that's my opinion. The best way to form your own is to go look at one.

5. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

I am in the same decision mode. . . I have just been going into the Apple store and playing with the Air and the rMini. (I have a 3 at the moment). I am leaning way more towards the rMini than the air. Browsing the web the text is kind of small, but it is the ultimate iBooks machine. (Or take the other approach and buy one to try it out.)

6. reno55 thread starter macrumors member

Well I am strongly considering just buying the mini now since it is holiday if i dont like it i can always return it since they have extended return policy

7. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

I recently made the switch from a iPad 4 to a rMini. Yes I have to pan more often. I also use the reader feature alot in Safari which is quite nice. No issues with games in fact I prefer them on the rMini. It's easier to reach the virtual controls on it. I also find myself holding my rMini closer to my eyes which isn't too bad since it's light and easy to hold. In the end I can't say I prefer one over the other.

8. reno55 thread starter macrumors member

How much panning are you having to do?

9. Yesterday macrumors member

I just switched from a 16gb 3rd gen iPad to a 32gb rmini. So far, I really love it. you might be zooming in a bit more depending on how the content is organized. I'm a pretty big gamer on my iPad, certain UI elements are a little harder to press since they're smaller but it's not too bad. Overall, I think the rmini form factor feels more comfortable to use than the full sized iPad.

10. mrgossett macrumors 6502

I had the original Mini and enjoyed the ease of carrying and holding it, but I subscribe to several magazines that I download each month, and I had to do quite a lot of zooming and panning to read them. Now, that was on the non-retina Mini and I haven't tried the retina Mini, but the text on some magazines is still going to be very tiny, although sharper on the retina Mini. I went with the Air this time, and magazine reading is great. The Air also has a wider color range with a more vibrant display, and magazine pics look amazing. And it only weighs about .25 lb more than the Mini, with almost a 2-inch larger screen.

11. reno55 thread starter macrumors member

See this is my big dilemma as I use Next Issue to read alot of magazines and also Documents...Im worried I will have to do that panning and zooming also alot.

The form factor of the mini is so irresistible though

12. Misskitty macrumors 6502

It sure is, but with the air, it shrinks that gap. The air is much more comfortable to use than any previous ipad. I wouldnt even consider any previous full sized ipad. Its like carrying around a pizza box with a steel block inside.

But with cases on, the mini is still considerably more comfortable to use than the air. use both without cases on and the air is immensly more comfortable to use than with a case (even if its a low profile case). Its still not as comfortable to use as a mini due to the extra size, but its very very close. Like almost as comfortable.

I dont know why people bother putting these cases on the airs, especially the huge ones that look more like a briefcase than an actual case. They destroy the look of your device and triple the weight. They look hideous.

Plus you have to ask yourself, are you willing to bring the air with you everywhere in public. How do you feel being seen with a 10" device in malls? The mini is pocketable too, air is not, so that means you will have to carry it by hand or tuck it in your pant belt.

I know exactly what you mean. Having owned the 1st gen mini for a year, and have the rmini now and the air, I still cant decide which one to bring back. I was going with the air, but when it came to refunding the rmini back to the store, I just couldnt do it. Its the size and comfort of the device that is unmatched by any other tablet today. Honestly, its perfection.

13. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

Definitely a lot more than the full size iPad. If that's a deal breaker for you stick if a full size iPad.

14. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

u have ur answer. Return air, keep mini. Quit creating useless threads

15. Misskitty macrumors 6502