Help Me Decide What to Buy

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jordii, Oct 14, 2008.

1. jordii macrumors regular

I need a new laptop...am using an old 1.5g aluminum MBP G4 with a (shudder) combo drive.

I've always been a MBP user, but suddenly its premium is in its larger display size, and 95% of the time i use an external monitor, so there's no reason for me to pay an extra thousand bucks.

So I guess I should get a MB.

But two downsides to the new MB are the glossy screen and the lack of FW. I could solve both by buying previous model...and also save $300. I already own a 250G HD to swap in.

Yes, I'd miss the illuminated keyboard. And the new design (including trackpad, which I suspect will be problematic until a rev B comes out). But aside from those things, what other hits would I take in reverting to the previous-gen MB?

Thanks!

2. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Refurb MBP's are going for $1350, go for one of them.

3. G5power macrumors 6502

It sounds like the new MB will have a pretty nice improvement on the video processor side.

Remember to get the illuminated keyboard you have to get the top of the line MB as it wasn't listed on the $1299 model.

Personally I like the look of the new MB. But the refurb prices are pretty good on the now old model MB. For example the black MB is $1099. They won't last long at that price.

4. G5power macrumors 6502

That is also a great option. Wow this is kind of the fun part when new models are announced the great deals on the previous models.

5. jordii thread starter macrumors regular

I don't like refurb computer systems. Units returned due to intermittent problems are hard to troubleshoot, and likely wind up being chalked up to naive or capricious customers and turned right around....back to the refurb buyer.

One wise move, I guess, would be to wait and see if build quality (due to the new process) really reduces the load of idiosyncratic problems every model inevitably creates for its users. If the new models are no-problems products, I might be more compelled.

6. wallstreetcrash macrumors regular

Remember new models are DDR3 and better intergrated graphics, and LED screen :)

7. marvel2 macrumors 6502

Apple refurbs are some of the best in the industry. Comes with the standard 1yr warranty and option for applecare. Most likely, they are trying to clear stock.

If anything, the 1599 MB is what I would get.

8. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

You get the same warranty on Apple refurbs, and I've never had any trouble with their refurbed products. I personally like refurbs because an actual tech goes over your individual computer and tests it out, where new machines are only powered on and spot checked, etc.

9. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Dunno if any one noticed but illuminated keyboard is only for the 2.4GHz MB and not the lower end 2.0 Al MB!

10. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Why do you want a laptop if 95% of the time you use an external monitor.

Buy a Mac Mini which will be faster in every department than your G4 (yes even graphics), and keep the Powerbook for when you are on the move.

The new Macbook is total crap.

11. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

You should really consider a certified refurbished Mac if you decide not to purchase a new MB or MBP.

12. wallstreetcrash macrumors regular

MacBook is better equipped for grpahics than the MacMini...

13. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

you'll probably be getting a new one anyway or you could go to the clearance section -not refurb and get a brand new MBP for $1441.

14. jordii thread starter macrumors regular

My Actual Question....

No one answered my question:

But aside from those things, what other hits would I take in reverting to the previous-gen MB?

15. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

Intel X3100 graphics (bad enough for Apple to switch to NVIDIA chipsets, even though NVIDIA isn't known for doing reliable chipsets).

Worse display than Air's, or previous generation MBP's, or new MB's. If you want matte, it's only available in 17" or old MBP. Plastic MacBooks are glossy.

New style keyboard - I'd try it in store first, if you hate it it's your last chance to get previous generation MacBook Pro.