Help me decide what to do with my iPhone. (was: Help!!!)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JohnnyLowGun, Dec 21, 2007.

1. JohnnyLowGun macrumors newbie

I was given an :apple:iphone as a x-mas gift. My problem is whether or not I should keep it or wait for an upgrade. Is that upgrade really that eminent? I plan on returning it for credit until I can make up my mind. Any help on the matter is greatly appreciated.

2. SthrnCmfrtr macrumors 6502

Well, what sort of upgrade would make you exchange your iPhone?

Smaller size?
    Greater storage?
    Taser functionality?

There's a lot that could happen...

3. JohnnyLowGun thread starter macrumors newbie

Just don't want to sign my life away for two years to have this phone become obsolete in a matter of months as opposed to a year or more. The plans are hefty.

4. worldwearyeyes macrumors regular

Is Apple still not allowing iPhone purchases with store credit/gift cards? If that's the case, you wouldn't be able to purchse the new one with that.

Hopefully someone else can confirm if that's still their policy.

5. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

It doesn't become "obsolete". Obsolete means "no longer in use". I guarantee there will still be people using the GSM network, and yes, even 1st Gen iPhones after the new model comes out.

To be fair obsolete also means "Outmoded in design, style, or construction" but I still think it doesn't apply to an older model of a current product. The design and style of the iPhone are practically guaranteed to stay the same, just as the iPod [classic] has remained essentially the same in design since 2001.

The only thing that would change on the iPhone is the innards, going under the category of construction. But even those changes are not enough to render a phone that is technologically beyond EVERYTHING else on the market obsolete.

6. lynster macrumors newbie

lynster

Wait.. whoaaaaa... you can't buy an iPhone with gift cards?!? I've been asking for Apple giftcards for my bday and xmas... I have $350 towards it! I guess I'll be calling Apple in the morning to find out.

7. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

iPhones can only be purchased from an Apple store using a credit card. No cash, check, or gift cards. You CAN use cash at an AT&T store.

8. snook911 macrumors 6502a

But I heard if you buy a iPhone at the at&t store and use cash you have to activate in the store before you leave.

9. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Apple make you pay cash, seriously you shouldn't always believe everything you "hear"

10. snook911 macrumors 6502a

I don't understand your post I did'nt say anything about apple making you pay cash. I said if you bought a iPhone at the AT&T store and paid cash they make you activate it at the store. Seems reasonable to me.

11. pketelaar macrumors newbie

you can buy an iphone with gift cards, just need to apply some portion of it to a major credit card. this site details requirements:

http://ipod-iphone.blogspot.com/2007/12/holiday-reminder-apple-gift-card-iphone.html

Quote:

Apple has confirmed that gift cards are a perfectly viable form of payment for the Apple iPhone as long as they are not the only form of payment involved. A credit card is still required. Most stores ask that the buyer put the first $20 of an iPhone purchase on a major credit card and allow Apple gift cards to be used for the remainder. Technically, however, putting any amount of the purchase on a credit card meets Apple's requirements.

12. lynster macrumors newbie

lynster

Thanks soo much! This helps out a great deal!

13. silbeej macrumors 6502a

Well it sounds like you are in no hurry to get one, no matter how much you may be interested in one, it doesn't seem like like a priority right now, so i would wait. I personally would have waited if i wasn't at the end of my contract and looking for a new phone anyways, but it is up to you, i would wait for the 3G if you are in no hurry.

14. bnelse92 macrumors newbie

Why wait? It could be quite a while before the next-gen iPhone comes out "sometime" in 2008. If it is the contract that you are worried about, don't. Since iPhones are not discounted at all, contract or not (unlike most of the phones AT&T sell) you would only have to sign a new two year deal if you purchased the next iPhone. The new contract would begin then. For instance; You buy and activate an iPhone now but then the 2nd gen iPhone comes out in August of 08, even though you have only been in a contract for 8 months up to that point, you could buy the new iPhone and start a "new" 2 year contract. The two year deal only ensures that you stay an AT&T customer for at least two years in one way or another. In fact you can do this with any cell phone carrier. You can always upgrade your phone at any time. Wether or not you will need to sign a new contract is usually based on your current contract status and if the phone is offered at a "new contract" price.

15. slinky0390 macrumors regular

i defiantly used my brothers early iphone adopter store credit towards my iphone. you just need to pay part of it with a credit card