Help Me Decide When to Upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ghosty86, Sep 25, 2010.

  1. ghosty86 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2007
    #1
    Hi guys I hope you can help me decide when I should upgrade.

    Here's the facts:

    * I currently have an iPhone 3G.

    * My contract runs out in March 2011.

    * I can pay £85 ($134) to terminate my contract right now to upgrade.

    Do you think I should wait until March to upgrade to the iPhone 4 for free or pay the extra and do it right now?

    I'm thinking if I wait until March to upgrade I may as well wait the extra 3 months and get the iPhone 5 when it comes out with the fixed antenna etc. What do you think?

    Any help is appreciated!
     
  2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

    eawmp1

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2008
    Location:
    FL
    #2
    If your phone works, why upgrade now unless you have to have the latest? This is not a popular sentiment on here but for most it is the most economical. Why not wait until 2011's model and buy on launch day, avoiding the penalty and then getting the latest incarnation?
     
  3. mpossoff macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2010
    Location:
    Philadelphia
    #3
    iPhone is a great investment, can you sell it to cover your costs for an upgrade?

    Here in the USA there is what is called a 'partial upgrade' of $399.00, every 12 months.

    Had a 3GS and was eligible for the partial with 2 year contract extension.

    Sold my unlocked 3GS for $400 plus shipping to someone overseas.

    Partial upgrade cost me $399 plus 7% tax, $427. So my out of pocket was only $27.

    Is partial upgrades available in the uk?

    And just noticed you have until march, I might wait until then unless you can sell your current iPhone to cover costs of an upgrade.

    I plan to get a new iPhone every year by selling my current one to cover costs for a new model.

    Marc
     
  4. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

    Lostanddamned

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    London, UK
    #4
    If you terminate now, you will still have to buy a new iPhone 4. Wait until 2011, and get the iPhone 5 for free.
     
  5. elwood2 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2009
    #5
    If you're going to wait till March 2011, you may as well wait a few more months and get the next generation iPhone when it comes out.
     
  6. ghosty86 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2007
    #6
    Another option I have is to buy a pay and go iPhone 4 for around £495, sell my 3G for about £130 and keep my current contract rolling (at £15 per month) until the iPhone 5 is out in June and if it's then worth upgrading to that I could sell my iPhone 4 for hopefully around £300 and upgrade to the iPhone 5.

    Reckon its a worthwhile option or still just wait for iPhone 5?
     
  7. mpossoff macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2010
    Location:
    Philadelphia
    #7
    That depends on your budget.

    Marc
     
  8. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2009
    #8
    Can you reward your patience by waiting until June to get an iPhone 5 instead?
     
  9. eawmp1 macrumors 601

    eawmp1

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2008
    Location:
    FL
    #9
    Reading between the lines you clearly want to go ahead and upgrade. Why ask, then?
     

Share This Page