Help me decide whether to stay or go rBMP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jerrykur, Nov 29, 2013.

1. jerrykur macrumors newbie

I am a software developer by professional and pretty serious photographer for fun. I currently am using a Mid 2010 13" MBP with 8GB memory and a 250 GB SSD and a 500 GB hybrid drive (for images and Parallels).

Under OSX I run MS Office, XCode, IntelliJ (another IDE), various web browsers (Firefox, Chrome), Photoshop, Lightroom, and various databases. I also have to run Windows in Parallels. Under Windows I use Visual Studio, SQL server, and IIS. I never develop concurrently in OSX and Windows. I do 80% of work attached to a 24-27 inch external calibrated monitor.

My current MBPro is a little slow, especially under Parallels. I suspect a lot of this is due to running Parallels from the Hybrid drive, by the core duo CPU may also be an issue So I am trying to sketch an upgrade path.

I see 3 choices for an upgrade (all 13", 15 is too big):
    1. A rMBP with 512 GB SSD and 8 or 16 GB of RAM $1600-1900.
    2. Replace the 250 GB SSD with a 500 GB SSD and move parallels to that unit. That would run about $300.
    3. Get a used 13 inch i5 model with minimal config, $700 Upgrade drive ($300) and memory ($80-160). Total $1200.

Thoughts?

2. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

Obviously 1 is best choice but if your talking value...i think 2 gives you a nice option to expand the life of your machine for another year or two

good luck

3. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

Depending on how hindered you feel at your work, spending $300 vs $1900 is going to be easy to reason out.

Personally, I'd go with option 1, since you run a VM. The extra ram and CPU power will help. Just bumping the SSD is great for enhancing normal use, but VM is a different beast.

4. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

I'd say go with the new Retina Book Mac Pro

5. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

My experience running Parallels with VS is that it need s lot of memory. Have you run Activity Monitor to see where you have bottlenecks? That would help determine the best course.

6. Justinhub2003 macrumors regular

i Say option 1 or even option 3.

I have owned both a mid 2010 13"MBP and a 2011 i5 13" MBP and the difference in CPU performance is night and day.

Your bottleneck is probably the Core2Duo.

I am currently selling my 13" MBP now and its very very fast, I've upgraded the HDD to a 500Gb Samsung 840 SSD, 16gb of Crucial 1333mhz ram and the rest of the standard config.

Im only selling it for roughly 1000$, So if you you could get a 2011 model cheaper than 1200.

I can give you some benchmarks if you would like to compare it with your current machine to see whats the better option for you.

7. AndrewMRiv macrumors regular

AndrewMRiv

Option 1 sounds like the best in the long run. Having a better cup plus more RAM will make you really powerful! It would so be the most convenient. The other options are a bit risky in that they might not improve enough for your needs.

Option 1 may be more expensive, but I would definitely see it as the best option.

You listed it first, so maybe your gut feeling is trying to tell you something! :p