Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RumorsReal

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 13, 2017
I just came back to Apple iPhone 8 plus from a Note 8. I wanted to try android and just couldn't get use to it. So I am back again.

I'd like to know what watch would be the best deal to get today. I honestly wouldn't want Cellular, as I don't see a need for it when I have my phone with me at all times. But to get SS I would have to get it. Ugh.

My last Series 1 I had was a great watch, I gave it to my Mom when I left my last iPhone.

Budget is around $500ish for a watch. I work in a professional environment (for a bank) so I would need something that I can make professional looking. I was thinking the Nike could be done that way too just a different band when I work. Let me get your opinions! Thanks!

Also where is the best place to purchase one for a good deal?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I just came back to Apple iPhone 8 plus from a Note 8. I wanted to try android and just couldn't get use to it. So I am back again.

I'd like to know what watch would be the best deal to get today. I honestly wouldn't want Cellular, as I don't see a need for it when I have my phone with me at all times. But to get SS I would have to get it. Ugh.

My last Series 1 I had was a great watch, I gave it to my Mom when I left my last iPhone.

Budget is around $500ish for a watch. I work in a professional environment (for a bank) so I would need something that I can make professional looking. I was thinking the Nike could be done that way too just a different band when I work. Let me get your opinions! Thanks!

With your budget, I would perhaps wait if you can around the holidays, you might find a stainless steel model Series 3 with a discount from In-store/online retailers . But I think the stainless model is the most professional looking, especially paired with a nice leather band or link bracelet. Which there are plenty of third-party bands available on the market.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
For me all watches look professional enough when paired with the right band.

An aluminium watch with a nice leather or metal band will be a fine combo.

Agree, there's no visual difference to anyone other than the owner in SS vs. AL. I would also say that either bright or dark can work, too. It's totally what you prefer. Dress it up with one of the $150 leather bands and you've made your budget if you buy an aluminum sport wifi/gps model.

moabal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
Unfortunately your budget is the limiting factor here.

Sport: Cheap. However, no matter what band you use, it will not look dressed up. I am saying this as a person who wears a suit and tie to work everyday. Based on your budget, this seems to be your only option if you want Series 3. Additionally, the screen is not sapphire so it'll be prone to scratching. Also, aluminum can be scratched.

Stainless Steel: Great looking watch for dressing up and dressing down. However, your budget would not allow for this. The screen is sapphire so it will not scratch easily. If you get the normal stainless steel you can buff out the scratches using a polish. However, the space black stainless steel if you try to buff it out it will remove the space black coating.

Ceramic: Too expensive. However, the screen or body will be less prone to scratching. I opted for the ceramic gray myself. I understand it was expensive.

Best of luck making a decision!

Last edited:

Achilles75

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011

Get the aluminum series 3, and one of the knock-off Milanese loop bands from Amazon for work. No one else will notice or care whether it's aluminum or stainless. As someone on here pointed out in another thread, Justice Neil Gorsuch of the U.S. Supreme Court wore a Garmin Forerunner to his confirmation hearings in the U.S. Senate. It doesn't get much more professional than that.

Last edited:

RumorsReal

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 13, 2017
Great advice so far guys. Thank you. Still thinking it over. Part of me wonders why go S3 and get the S2 off Swappa the way I want. But then I will miss out on some important upgrades. So, that is why the S3 is still the one I want.

strategicthinke

Suspended
Feb 6, 2014
Rio de Janeiro
The S3 is definitely the version to take over the S2, it's significantly faster and future-proof. Stainless Steel is the most viable option to look dressed in the corporate environment - no matter how you put it the Aluminum version looks like a Fisher & Price object or just a fancier fitness tracker. The Stainless Steel one, though, could be mistaken for a regular watch until you interact with the screen - it's THAT classy. The best option would be black classic buckle with the SS. Still, if you only buy a stainless steel version with the white sports band for 650 USD (you don't need to go for 42”, the 38” is good enough and looks good in any person except if you’ve got a really large wrist, and I've used both 38” and 42”) you can still keep it until you find a good deal on a classic leather buckle later. Finally, if you do end up going for sports, the black one is the one that blends the most with the office environment... Even though it is still too sports-y, it is stealthy enough (especially with the red dot that actually looks GREAT in that model) to look modern and be quasi-acceptable with a more classic dress-code. Having said that, I got a black sports version thinking I could pull it off and save on some money, but I ended up giving it back to Apple and getting the Stainless Steel one. Lol.

Reactions: SigEp265

Resqu2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
I went SBSS LTE just for the extra storage and the nicer back. I won’t activate LTE after reading through a few threads. You would be fine with any of the alum series 3 and a nice band with your budget.

RumorsReal

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 13, 2017
For now, I ordered the Nike Silver Aluminum Cellular/GPS version with the white/black band. I can not justify at this time or anytime in the near future the SS watch that I want which is around $700 or so bucks. I like the Nike faces as well. So I will get some bands off Amazon and go with that. I did get AppleCare+ with it as well.

I think this will do me well till I upgrade in the future and sell this on Swappa.

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
Agree, there's no visual difference to anyone other than the owner in SS vs. AL. I would also say that either bright or dark can work, too. It's totally what you prefer. Dress it up with one of the $150 leather bands and you've made your budget if you buy an aluminum sport wifi/gps model.
Even the sport bands can look sufficiently formal and professional depending on how you are dressed and how you carry yourself.

allthingsapple!

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2014

You could get a SS series 2 that way you don't have to have cellular and you'd save money as well.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Great advice so far guys. Thank you. Still thinking it over. Part of me wonders why go S3 and get the S2 off Swappa the way I want. But then I will miss out on some important upgrades. So, that is why the S3 is still the one I want.
Doctor here. Usually in a suit. I wear a space gray aluminum S3 and it looks totally professional. Even with a sport band. Tons of professionals wear it or a rubber fit bit band for fitness tracking. Even our CEO wears one with a rubber sport band.

Dress it up with a metal band or go modern with the Nike perforated band. I see no problem with it.

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
Doctor here. Usually in a suit. I wear a space gray aluminum S3 and it looks totally professional. Even with a sport band. Tons of professionals wear it or a rubber fit bit band for fitness tracking. Even our CEO wears one with a rubber sport band.

Dress it up with a metal band or go modern with the Nike perforated band. I see no problem with it.
The rubber sports bands already look professional as mentioned above. They are slim and sleek. If you think you need an expensive band to command attention and respect, you’re holding it wrong. Jobs wore a (designer) black mock turtleneck, $50 Levi’s, and $100 NB. It’s not about what you wear, it’s about how you wear it.

Xraydoc: not directed at you: I just replied to last message in thread. BTW, I need some imaging. MR discount?

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
no matter how you put it the Aluminum version looks like a Fisher & Price object or just a fancier fitness tracker.
That's your personal opinion.

The Stainless Steel one, though, could be mistaken for a regular watch until you interact with the screen - it's THAT classy.
I think that classy people would notice the difference already because of the missing watch face when not in interaction. But classy people would also know better than to judge people by the watch they're wearing ...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
However, the space black stainless steel if you try to buff it out it will remove the space black coating.

Side Note: The coating you are referring is the diamond like carbon coating. And it cannot be easily removed just by polishing it. However, it's very difficult to damage the space black Apple Watch due to the DLC coating, but if The casing does get damaged, there is no sense in even trying to polish it, due to the coating.

Reactions: ZebraDude

Nell

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
London
I’ve gone for stainless steel this time to have a change but loved my silver aluminium watch (it took me ages to decide to make the change this time) and never felt it wasn’t smart enough. I almost always wear either a woven nylon or sport strap but have a Milanese loop for times I want to look dressier. In my opinion, and I know many here disagree, the contrast between the silver aluminium and the polished steel lugs looks great (if anything, I think the Milanese loop looks better with the aluminium watch).

Hope you enjoy your new watch!

Reactions: allthingsapple!

strategicthinke

Suspended
Feb 6, 2014
Rio de Janeiro
That's your personal opinion.

I think that classy people would notice the difference already because of the missing watch face when not in interaction. But classy people would also know better than to judge people by the watch they're wearing ...
In no moment did I say that my views should be universally agreed upon. Secondly, “classy” people is a very snobbish term that I did not use in my answer to the topic creator. I said “looks classy”, which is much less pretentious than you want to make it look like.
Also, no, very few people recognise the Apple Watch stainless steel that I use, but I’ve seen people pointing out the sports versions on other people quite frequently - the SS does blend much better with formal attire.
Finally, I was just trying to help the topic creator with some perspectives. It’s a shame people can get offended at some specific opinions on fashion that random people post on the internet. Whatever...

Reactions: amozo

allthingsapple!

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2014
no matter how you put it the Aluminum version looks like a Fisher & Price object or just a fancier fitness tracker.
In no moment did I say that my views should be universally agreed upon. Secondly, “classy” people is a very snobbish term that I did not use in my answer to the topic creator. I said “looks classy”, which is much less pretentious than you want to make it look like.
Also, no, very few people recognise the Apple Watch stainless steel that I use, but I’ve seen people pointing out the sports versions on other people quite frequently - the SS does blend much better with formal attire.
Finally, I was just trying to help the topic creator with some
Perspectives. It’s a shame people can get offended at some specific opinions on fashion that random people post on the internet. Whatever...

I don’t think anyone was offended I think people were simply saying it’s completely subjective to say that no matter how you put it the aluminum version looks like a toy because that’s not true. Definitely your personal opinion and I totally get that but there are several people who know how to dress the aluminum up and down. Of course the SS blends better with formal attire as it is a more formal watch but many of us think the aluminum should not be discredited.

strategicthinke

Suspended
Feb 6, 2014
Rio de Janeiro
I don’t think anyone was offended I think people were simply saying it’s completely subjective to say that no matter how you put it the aluminum version looks like a toy because that’s not true. Definitely your personal opinion and I totally get that but there are several people who know how to dress the aluminum up and down. Of course the SS blends better with formal attire as it is a more formal watch but many of us think the aluminum should not be discredited.
I see, I apologise but English is not my primary language. What I meant was no matter how you dress it, as in, in my view, with a suit of whichever colour or whichever band you’re using with the aluminium watch, it still looks out of place. I realise on a second reading that “no matter how you put it” can mean “no mater if you see it differently, I’m right and you are wrong”...
My mistake this time, guys.

Reactions: Neodym

allthingsapple!

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2014
I see, I apologise but English is not my primary language. What I meant was no matter how you dress it, as in, in my view, with a suit of whichever colour or whichever band you’re using with the aluminium watch, it still looks out of place. I realise on a second reading that “no matter how you put it” can mean “no mater if you see it differently, I’m right and you are wrong”...
My mistake this time, guys.

No need to apologize! I don’t think the majority of users would argue that the SS looks more professional which is what I believe you were getting at. But like myself for example, I’d love the SS but with my lifestyle the aluminum is better since I spend most of my time in a gym or in class when I’m not at work so I can’t justify spending so much on a watch that would look out of place given my current situation. If I were in a more professional setting for most of my day I’d probably opt for the SS.

strategicthinke

Suspended
Feb 6, 2014
Rio de Janeiro
No need to apologize! I don’t think the majority of users would argue that the SS looks more professional which is what I believe you were getting at. But like myself for example, I’d love the SS but with my lifestyle the aluminum is better since I spend most of my time in a gym or in class when I’m not at work so I can’t justify spending so much on a watch that would look out of place given my current situation. If I were in a more professional setting for most of my day I’d probably opt for the SS.
Yes, but the “no matter how you put it” made me sound like a jerk. Lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.