Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
You'll also get more storage and longer battery life with the MacBook Pro. I would go for a MacBook Pro if it's going to be your only computer. To me it's more of a desktop replacement while the MacBook Air is a computer when you're not at home.
Your post and sig convince me that you don't have one of the new MBAs. If I am wrong about this, please say so.

Until I got my MBA in October, I had always subscribed to the notion that no MBA could serve as a desktop replacement. I was wrong. For nearly three years before I got an MBA my primary computer had been a 17 inch 2.4GHz Santa Rosa MBP with 6 GB of RAM. On it I ran Windows 7 in Unity mode and customarily had a couple of Windows apps and 5 or 6 OS X apps running on the OS X desktop 24/7. Before I got the MBA I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to do on an MBA with 4GB of RAM what I had done on the MBP with 6. I soon discovered, though, that, thanks to the MBA's lightning fast flash storage, it runs the same suite of programs the MBP ran with just as much speed and stability as the MBP provided. The result is that the MBA has become my primary computer.

Boston007

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Ok. I would like my own laptop, and want very much to get a mac.

I have finally settled on two different notebooks.
MacBook Air, and MacBook.
Now I just can't decide which to choose. Here is a list of most of the things that I use with a computer.
I mostly use a computer for the internet and saving pictures.
I love writing and I plan to write novels and books.
I charge my iPod
I use my thumbdrive frequently
Could someone PLEASE point me in the right direction?! They are both the same price, becasue if I would get an Air, it would be 11".
GOOD GRIEF! My friend thinks it's all about FEATURES. She says I should get the MacBook because it has a disk drive and she says that the Air is an iPad with a keyboard.
GOSH. I would use the disk drive once maybe?!
HELP ME! HELP ME! HELP ME!

For what you will be doing, yes a Macbook or MBA air would surely suffice. BUT, I highely suggest you get a 13" MBA not the 11". If you want to write novels and books, doing it on a 11" screen will be torture.

I wouldn't worry about storage. There are a plethora of storage solutions.
You can use the SD card slot for data in conjunction with DropBox so the files are never stored on your laptop but on the SD with the DropBox cloud storage backup.
You can back this data up on a USB drive, just in case you are extra paranoid about crashes :)

And lastly, because you will be writing novels I think you want a very portable computer and the MBA is that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.