Help me decide!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by zbro90, Aug 1, 2011.

1. zbro90, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011

zbro90 macrumors newbie

Alright guys, I'm in between two computers. I'm in between:

13in 1.8 i7 Macbook Air

and
    13in 2.3 i5 Macbook Pro with 256gb SSD

Keeping in mind that I don't really game and the most CPU intensive thing I do is Final Cut Pro X. I'm coming from a late 2007 15in non-unibody MBP 2.6 Core 2 Duo 4GB 667 MHz DDR2.

I really like how thin the airs are, just saying. But what would you do? I've heard FCPX doesn't run too terribly on the Air. But I don't like the 1280 x 800 lower res of the 13in pro. Will I notice it?

2. 2IS macrumors 68030

So you like the thinness of the air and don't like the screen of the Pro.

Why is this such a hard decision again???

3. zbro90 thread starter macrumors newbie

I dunno. I guess I'm just putting my hand out waiting for someone to help me rationalize the Air over the Pro.

4. michaelz macrumors regular

Get the AIR! It's faster then what you have now.

5. zbro90 thread starter macrumors newbie

And if I get the Air, whats the best way to transfer my iTunes library in migrate assistant? Over wifi? Or should I get the USB ethernet adapter and do it over that? I have about 30 GB in my iTunes, all with album art. Does the Album art transfer?

6. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Because at the end of the day you want more than 4 gigs of ram. That would be the only issue.

Processors are similar, screen res is better on the air but quality is better on the pro (colors), and the air is limited to 4gb ram.

Here's the thing. I couldn't see going back to 1280 res.. it's awful. OTOH, the bad viewing angle and color reproduction of the 13 (i have the samsung) is pissing me off.

So I feel you. I would skip the 13" mbp and decide if you want the 15" with more oomph and ram and a better screen for more money.. or the lighter still capable but somewhat crippled in screen and ram air.

The 13" mbp is, to me, a non starter.

7. zbro90 thread starter macrumors newbie

My reservations about 4GB of DDR3 subside a bit knowing that its waaay faster than my 4gb of ddr2 4GB of DDR2 (which I've had for 4 years anyway.)

8. h00ligan macrumors 68030

True, it's way faster.. however - there's still not enough of it :/

Lightroom and photoshop get this thing paging fast... otoh, at least it's paging to a ssd.

9. zbro90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well the good news is I don't use lightroom or photoshop, and I do also have a 24" iMac 2.66 Core 2 Duo 4gb RAM if I need those.

Like I said, most I'm doing is FCPX

10. activ8 macrumors member

zbro90: Since you are in the p**n business, only using FCP. JK. Haha. You should buy the Macbook Air. If you were able to survive with 4gb of ram before. You should be able to again, but this time with a faster CPU that kicks the core 2 duo's ass. Plus you'll get full screen p**n with the Lion OS.

11. scoobydiesel macrumors member

scoobydiesel

If it runs FCX that def helps me want to buy a MBA... For some reason I didnt expect it to handle video editing.

12. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Video is going to take more than photography I would think... especially with compositing - no?

At the end of it - it sounds like you really want the air. SO you should get the air! :)

13. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

The new MacBook Air is lightning fast and will satisfy your needs in every way. You want a thin, light, sex, yet fast and powerful computer,...then the Air is your type.

14. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

15. hereyago macrumors member

you prob want a lot of ram for final cut pro. get mbp + 8gb ram

16. Parkbruce macrumors newbie

I would recommend the air because simply the air is so much better. If you look at the benchmark scores the difference bewteen the air and the pro is really not that much of a difference. Also, I upgraded to a 2011 13inch air from a 2010 macbook pro 13inch and i love it. Its so much lighter and you can really feel the difference. I also like the higher resolution display on the air and mostly you wont see a difference in the performance between the air and the pro according to what you are doing. Plus if ur doing fcp 128gb is not going to be enough. BTW i would get the i5 macbook air rather than the i7 cuz the i7 is significantly has louder fan noise and i thought the i5 was loud and also the i7 is much hotter with very minimum performance increase. Get the 13inch i5

17. jackrv macrumors 6502

Back up your /Music folder to an external HDD (or copy it directly between the MacBooks, Wifi will work, if a bit slow - I like having an external backup anyway) . It contains the .itl library files as well as all your art, settings, etc.. I did this and everything came over: music, apps, itunesU downloads, and all the art that went with it.

Just to note, I've never tried Migration Assistant, so I can't directly answer your question about that. I just moved everything manually.

18. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

Looking at the Air's today at Best Buy and then going home to my MacBook Pro 13", I have made the decision to buy one of those beauties soon. They are really HD, I noticed it instantly.