Help me decide!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Disneyzell, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Disneyzell macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm finally, after many years, ready to purchase a apple computer. I do alot of video editing for sports (recruiting videos and highlight videos), and have been limping along with windows PC's for years.

my little business has grown to the point of me needing a mobile computer because I travel regularly for my real job and need to bring the video stuff with me. obviously I can get a decent windows laptop around $1,000, but I have heard that the Macbook Pro is much better from a video perspective.

In looking around I located this Macbook Pro which is used:
    2010 Macbook Pro with Intel Core 2 Duo processor
    8GB RAM

and a whole boatload of software:
    Adobe CS5 Master
    Adobe Light Room
    Final Cut Pro X
    IWork
    ILife
    Microsoft Office 2011 Pro

The guy wants $1,600. my hesitation is because this is obviously an older laptop that doesn't take advantage of the Intel I series. But I have no idea if I'm just taken in by the corporate lingo!

I'm hoping the experts on here can help me make a decision. I know to get the equivelent above with the newer macbook pro would be almost $3,000 with all the software that is included in this one.

thoughts?

Thanks!

DZ

2. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Can you even transfer ownership on Final Cut Pro X? I don't think so. It is tied to your Apple/iTunes account. Be wary of any computer "loaded" with software. It might be loaded, but you don't have ownership.

You can transfer ownership of Adobe products. It's pretty simple. The form is available on their website.

If you have Adobe Windows versions of the products, you can call Adobe and they will give you a free crossgrade to Mac OS X versions. You surrender your Windows licenses, though.

You would be much better off with a newer machine with an i7 quad.

3. BigJohno macrumors 65816

4. Disneyzell thread starter macrumors newbie

The software is what was the interesting thing for me. Sounds like that it isn't an option. but I'm also reading that Apple may go away from the macbook pro line. that scares me too.

Thanks for the tips, I figured the I7 would be better.

5. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

The software is probably stolen, if you really want it you can go get it yourself fairly easily. Don't let that be the thing that convinces you to purchase this particular laptop.

6. chewes macrumors newbie

Yeah it's only 1529 for the lates refurbished model, so why not go with that? It's a huge improvement in terms of CPU and gpu power compared to the model you're looking at. That guys price is way too high. Get something that will last you a few years. Your other option is too wait for the 2012 lineup if you can and see what's out there, it will be more of an investment, but might end up being worth it. Plus, prices of the 2011s will drop. I'm waiting for the 2012s myself and getting along with my windows pc and iPad 2 until then. :)

7. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

You definitely better off getting something that has an intel core i. Thats a lot of money to spend on a C2D machine. While thats a fine machine it is already getting dated and will quickly become obsolete. You can get a very nice refurb'd machine for that price.

8. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

If you're using this machine for video work, and you're running a business, don't skimp and get a C2D machine. You're much better off spending your money on hardware, not bundled software that for all we know is pirated. It'll save you so much time in the long run. FCP X is only 300 bones. Open office works fine for Mac and it's free.

Try find a used 2011 17" and you'll be very happy with it. Or wait a few weeks and see what the new ones look like.

9. Disneyzell thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone!

That's why I came here. Glad I did not pull the trigger.