Help me decide

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by i-sidd, Jun 12, 2012.

1. i-sidd macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

my almost 6 year old macbook needs replacement. I have been waiting for the MBA refresh and now that its finally here I want to get the best machine and spec that is for my needs and has the best bang for the buck.

I will use it mainly for surfing, emails, some personal photo editing (nothing heavy), play movies, mirror it to my hdtv etc.

I also need it to have windows as my wife wodl be working on it for her work stuff, her current PC is really slow and needs a faster computer, it will be for email and some MS office, working with powerpoint, images etc.

So I am set on getting the 13" but should I get the MBA or macbook pro, boths ame price $1499 but I get a bigger HDD not flash but consideribly bigger.

Sugegstions?

2. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I would suggest you get the pro. You will get more power out of the notebook and not have to worry about space being an issue, especially if you plan on installing windows.

3. rygamble macrumors regular

There aren't really very many difference between the 13" Pro and Air. Both are dual-core, but the Pro is a higher clock. However, the Air has an SSD, which you will see much higher day-to-day performance from. If you need more storage than the Air can offer, go with the Pro. If you can live with the storage and get away with an external drive for stuff you don't need on the computer at all times, go with the Air. Neither has a dedicated graphics card, so that doesn't go into the discussion either. Honestly, this is probably the first year that the difference is so small that the extra 1.5 lbs. that you would have to lug around with the Pro just doesn't seem worth it.

4. jksu macrumors regular

vote for the mba. SSD will make day to day use much faster. lighter weight/compactness is very notceable.

you can get an external superdrive for burning if you need. but these days, almost all i watch are via netflix, hulu, youtube, etc. mba plenty of cpu horsepower for what you need.

can plug in an external drive if you really have a ton of movies/music/photos and/or for backup.

5. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

I mind says, Macbook pro but heart is set on MBA, plus the fact that I want something else for a change.

How much space would I need to have windows installed. I want to use as less as possible with some space. can I like use 50gb or less and have the remaining for OSX.

what's the actual size on the 256 flash drive?

6. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

If you are set on the MBA and want Windows on it too, get at least the 256Gb model.