Help me decide!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Namrak, Aug 15, 2013.

  1. Namrak, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013

    Namrak macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2013
    #1
    I start law school on Monday, and I'm torn as to whether or not I should wait for the Haswell rmbp release. I currently have an old HP laptop which is extremely slow and barely lasts an hour on the battery. The way I see it, I have two options:

    1.) Buy the 1599 rmbp refurb through apple and upgrade once Haswell is released. If I choose this route, how much do you think I would end up losing, assuming I buy the new Haswell 15" base through the education store?


    2.) Wait for the Haswell update and try to use my HP laptop

    This will be my first Mac so I would rather learn osx now than the middle of the semester. I'm set on the 15" rmbp, because the 15" screen is an absolute MUST for me

    TIA!!!
     
  2. borgqueens macrumors member

    borgqueens

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2013
    Location:
    Denmark
    #2
    Good question

    For me Mac OS was much more easy to learn to use then Windows. However when once used to use windows for way too many years it took me 2 weeks to learn all the short command keys and such. But the Mac OS X is very easy to learn to use and for basic use I do not think it will be a problem in a semester to start using OS X. But you may want to get the Microsoft office pack for Mac OS X since that is the one you already know how to use from the beginning.

    I personal am using Pages but that takes much time to get to know.

    If you can wait for Haswell you will get more battery life and that the only thing we know about the next rMBP.

    The first generation of rMBP 15" have been known to have screen issues. So if you can wait for the Haswell rMBP I think you will find that Apple have resolved the issues the current rMBP screens have.

    I think you should wait and just make sure to sit where there is a power socket for you notebook.

    However we do not know yet the lunch date for the next rMBP so it might be october or november. So if you think you can use your computer until november then my advise will be wait.

    But follow your hart and do what you feel is best for you
     
  3. vandoorn macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 31, 2011
    #3
    I would definitely buy the refurb now. I bought a 2nd hand 15" retina as well and i'm very happy about it. It's an amazing machine, and for me it wasn't worth spending a lot more money for the new model.
     
  4. gbailey141, Aug 16, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013

    gbailey141 macrumors member

    gbailey141

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2013
    Location:
    Hampshire UK
    #4
    I agree with vandoorn, you get more for your money:)
     
  5. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #5
    Option 1 is the best imo, and you may find that you're completely happy with the refurb AND the Haswell update is minor enough to skip. If you still want a Haswell MBP then sell the refurb you bought and get it :)
     
  6. Namrak thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2013
    #6
    Thanks! Any idea how much my expected losses would be with option 1?
     

Share This Page