Help Me Decide!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mbpple, Nov 9, 2013.

  1. mbpple, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013

    mbpple macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2013
    #1
    Hey so I a currently using a late 2008 MBP 15inch with 4gigs of ram and 2.4 core2 duo. I bought it when it first came out so it is almost 5 years old but still running alright. It does freeze and the hinge is messed up and creaked screen but still works haha.

    Trying to decide if I should get the new retina 15 but have a few issues. First is which model to buy. All I use my comp for is school and internet but no gaming at all. However, money isn't really an issue so I figure I should upgrade at least the cpu but should I do the ram as well? And then theres the discrete gpu, I know I don't use games but is there any other reason why it would be necessary to have it?

    Lastly Im betting they will change the form factor to a 15in "Air" version next year so I hate to buy a new retina if it is going to be a completely different design in a few months. My current pro is working alright but the lag, cracked screen etc is starting to get to me haha..

    Any advice would be appreciated

    edit.. Also with all of the problems I have been reading about on here, if i do decide to get one should I wait to see if apple acknowledges it or maybe a newer batch?
     
  2. bigeasy_uk macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2005
    Location:
    Leamington Spa, England
    #2
    For your usage the base 15" retina would be more than ample.

    I don't think apple will be releasing a 15" air model any time soon, it's already pretty thin and they need something to differentiate the ranges.

    They have not long updated the pro range so unless you can put up with your current mbp for another year I'd take the plunge now.

    If you are worried about any problems you may face then you should open it up in the apple store and give it a quick check over.
     
  3. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

    Tears Apart

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2009
    Location:
    Outside Closer
    #3
    If money is not an issue get the high-end 15'' with discrete graphic card. Also in terms of resale value.
     
  4. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #4
    I wouldn't hold your breath on that. If you need a computer now, get one. If you wait a year, you'll have the opportunity to buy one on a new chip set.

    I don't think we'll see any 15" MBA so don't withhold your purchase on that hope.
     
  5. mbpple thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2013
    #5
    Yea I mean I don't really need the higher end one but when I spec it out its only a few hundred dollars different so its just very tempting.

    Would the dgpu end up wasting battery or getting hot when in use?
     

Share This Page