Help Me Decide

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mc906, Sep 13, 2014.

1. mc906, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014

mc906 macrumors newbie

I current have an early 2011 MBP 15 inch base model and am considering upgrading to the current MBP 15.

Is it worth getting the 750M version over the Iris Pro? or should I buy a refurb previous model?

With the education discount base 15 is $1,899.00 and 750M 15 is $2,299.00

I'm a student so I simply don't have the space to have a desktop as well as a laptop.

My situation:

I know that my model is a buggy one and my board already failed once and had to get it replaced by apple. I've already swapped in a 512GB SSD as well as 16GB of ram. It runs very fast for daily tasks like browsing, but I do a lot of graphic intensive tasks as well (photoshop, final cut etc.) as well as gaming (CSGO, boarderlands). I've been having problems either with the fan or the graphics card where whenever I start gaming or using photoshop my computer seriously overheats (not just the normal mac heat) and frame rates are spike dropping to around 10-12 while playing non intense games like counter strike global offensive. I used to be able to do these things fine about a year ago but now maybe its just time to retire this computer. Also it would be nice to not have to carry this brick all over NYC.

Thanks.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Unless you do lots of rendering and play games, I don't think you would need the 750M.

3. mc906 thread starter macrumors newbie

i wrote in the post that i used finalcut and played games so...

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Then yes, the 750M would be beneficial for you.