help me decide

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jo0zi, Nov 19, 2007.

1. jo0zi macrumors newbie

Hi, im a Windows user but i have been saving up for a macbook for a while now but now I can afford one i dont know if its the right decision. I am wanting to buy a black macbook but I gont want to feel like I have wasted alot of money on something I wont like.

I have heard great things about the new OS and i want to buy one so much. What is it like switching from Windows to macOS? i will mainly use the macbook for surfing, email, and college which would be text editing, word processing and other things.

I was also wanting to know what the difference between the black macbook and the white mackbook.

2. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

3. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

in my opinion the black macbook is pointless, there is no difference between the two except from color. A white macbook can be brought to the same specs as the blackbook for cheaper.

I prefer the pro machines personally.

The difference between oses? Honestly it's mostly the small things, ie: Plug and play with printers and spotlight, and the eyecandy for me.

4. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

You may find this article interesting:

Switch 101

The difference between a WhiteBook and a BlackBook are the specifications. The Black has the higher specs without customizing. Other than that, you have to ask yourself whether you like the black look or the white look.

Good luck with your decision. -GDF

5. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

As a new user I would advise going for a cheap white refurbished one. You still get Leopard and if you really don't like it (I doubt that would happen :p) you can sell it and get most of you money back.

6. kylep6190 macrumors member

I am in the same position as you, have used Windows all my life but I am going to college next fall and I decided on a Black Macbook. I compared it to an HP and Dell with the same exact specs, and the macbook was about $100 cheaper. But the Macbook has a couple hours more battery life, last longer, retain their value much better, and Apple customer service absolutely craps on HP's. Plus with the Macbok you can run windows on Bootcamp if you really don't like OS X, and according to PC World the Macbook ran Vista better then any other laptop in it's class. A lot of my friends have Macs so I am pretty familiar with OS X and it is great. You can do all of the same things you can on Windows except it is much more visually appealing and has a simplistic style. Why get the black macbook? Because I will be majoring in computer science thus using my computer a lot, and I just can't stand staring at a screen surrounded by bright white, but that is just my preference. I figure if I am already going to be spending over $1000, I might as well spend a little extra to get a system that I will love to look at and work on. Plus, in my opinion the black is much more masculine, but that is just me. To each his own, if you like the white then by all means get it, this is just my opinion. Plus the Mac community in general is much more helpful and understanding.

7. jo0zi thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all of your fast replies.

I think that i might buy one tomorrow

8. eman macrumors 6502a

The white and black macbooks are the same, except for color of course. The black macbooks have a slightly bigger hard drive for two hundred bucks, thats it. Save yourself some money and buy a white macbook and upgrade the hard drive yourself. Save yourself even more money and buy one off ebay.