Help me decide...

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by mthao00, Nov 21, 2007.

1. mthao00 macrumors member

Option A
    Logic Express 8 and Final Cut Pro Studio

or

Option B
    Logic Studio and Final Cut Express

Reason: I'm looking into building my advertising portfolio. Basically want to do radio and TV ads in addition to the print ads I'm working on now. Additionally, I also record bands/songs for fun. Which gives me the best possible "bang for the buck?" The budget is under $900. I'm a student so I'll be getting the academic versions and it won't be until a few months from now or even summer 2008.

I guess if I save a little more I can get both Studios for under $1200. Soundtrack Pro 2 would be nice along with the added programs and packages. I just want to make the best videos and audio pieces I can. Maybe I'm getting a little too far ahead of myself. I'm learning so I need something that I won't say "I wish I had that." Maybe I can accomplish what I want with just the express for both.

Just pondering. BTW, I'm also purchasing an Apogee Duet in the near future to use as an audio interface to prepare for Logic... Wrong forum... oh well.

Thanks, mT :apple:

2. SigmundFraud macrumors member

If you are wanting to do TV adds, probably option A. Not a video expert, but I do know from my friends in production that TV Audio is generally pretty subprime compared to music audio; Logic Studio would not make sense as your place to spend the bulk of your money. Moreover, I think with FCE you're stuck with iDVD as your authoring software - clients may find your limited presentation options naff, and being stuck with PCM audio on your DVDs may be frustrating - I don't know.

If you're not wanting to do surround sound for your band production, nor use virtual instruments live, nor use heaps of loops and pre-fab samples, Logic Express has pretty much everything Logic Studio has. You'd get Soundtrack and Compressor in FC Studio, so you could even do surround mixing if needed. Check the comparison charts between logic and logic express - they're pretty similar since Logic was bundled up with other apps to form the studio package - Apple were keen to make Logic the no-brainer choice for everyone on price and features, be it studio or express.