Help me decide...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jmdeegan, Nov 26, 2008.

1. jmdeegan macrumors member

I have had a few things happen to my August 2007 MacBook, which have me considering a new one....

1-Screen suffered liquid damage. It works, but its got splotches, so it's been more annoying. 200 bucks to fix it/replace it.

2-Seems my firewire port has crapped out. Have had intermittent problems with a FW enclosure with hub, but drives directly connected without it seemed fine. Now I've tried a couple drives with a couple cables. Drives all come up fine on USB2, but no joy with FW.

And 3 isn't so much an issue as a choice...but I wanted to get my wife a new laptop for Christmas, one that our kids (not quite 3) could use for educational software in a year or two (with kid-proof mouse and keyboard, of course).

So my ideas so far:
    1-Buy daddy a new MBP, repair the screen on the MB and give the MB to the wife.
    I hesitate at this because between the two expenses, it's over 2k, and I am not totally sold on the MBP yet.

2-Buy daddy a refurb or clearance MBP (15.4, 2.4ghz, matte), for like 40% off or whatever it works out to. Still repair the screen in the MB and hand it down.
    Yes, it's old tech, but it's proven and it should be more than adequate for photos and video. The MB was fine for the most part, but more power would be nice, and i want that lighted KB.

3-Buy the wife a new or refurb MB, suffer with what I have, maybe replace the screen. Cheap,1k for all of the above....

4-Possibly get her a Dell. Shes a windows girl, its what she knows. yes, i can dual boot for her. the other nice thing about the dell is a card reader. yes, we have a USB one. but its one more thing she can and does mis-place. i have too many card readers....

One thing with the newer MBP is I hear a lot of people waiting to see Snow Leopard, saying with the multiple GPUs it should really fly....maybe so, but I kinda think I'd want to wait till after MWSF to buy, in part because of that.

Price wise....the MB-esque price point of the older MBP appeals to me. Had FW remained in the new MB, it would be a no brainer (though the mid-level for the backlit KB). More power is always nice, but I know most of what I do is handled fine by the 2.16 C2D MB I have.

So what should I do? Am I crazy for thinking about the older MBP? I've heard both ways....and I still cannot decide.

2. jmdeegan thread starter macrumors member

And to sort of clarify....

I would do a lot of photo work on it, some video. But since I've been doing all that on my MacBook for the last year, I don't know that the infamous Matte v. Glossy debate applies. Since I don't know the difference from experience....

And relative to my comment about SL and MWSF, its more like right now benchmarks have the old and new MBP fairly similar. Is tech in SL going to make that much more of a difference with the new MBP to make it significantly better?
    Of course, if I wait till MWSF, the odds of stock of the old MBPs being available is decreased....

decisions decisions

wish there was a good way to know if that FireWire port was dead, dying etc...and if it is dead, is it dead just because, or is it a delayed reaction to the liquid damage (which apple said was limited to the LCD). Obviously, if there is other damage beyond the LCD, then it's a sinking ship (though I've been using it a lot since the damage with no other ill effects).

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

First off, the refurb MBP is an excellent computer - it comes with Apple's warranty, tested and tried, great performance, impressive power and that splendid screen; I'd strongly recommend that. Then mend the screen on your MB and hand it down (or keep it).

However, depending on the price of the mended screen - I'd almost recommend going for a refurb MB too; at the moment, some of the models offer excellent value, and again - while not the most current/desirable in the Apple Mac line-up, and lacking the attractive aesthetic of the aluminium body of the new MB - they are excellent value, are tested and tried, come with the warranty, and you will be getting what is, in effect, a brand new computer - with warranty - at a very competitive price. My tuppence worth.

Cheers and good luck

4. codyst macrumors regular

codyst

True except for all of the problems with the dedicated 8600M Graphics card in it.

5. jmdeegan thread starter macrumors member

thanks for that thought

the new MB, if I went that way, would just be for the wife. For me, anything I get "new"-be it refurb, clearance or new, I want the backlit keyboard. I end up doing a lot of typing in the dark or low light situations, and it would be nice to have.

but for me with MB new vs. new Screen, its the big unknown of what's wrong with the FW port. If it's the port dead because of the liquid, then yea, cut my losses don't bother with any other repairs. If it just died because of some other reason....then 200 bucks or 850 bucks.....

and as buggy as some 8600m cards were, by all accounts it seems Apple addressed them, the newer ones are resolved and there is extended coverage for the hardware in the event some snuck through. So it's not a horrible situation, IMHO

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, yes, I take your point. However, that is what the warranty is there for, should the problem arise. And Applecare, which I have also invested in.

To date, I have had very good experiences with Apple customer care - indeed, it was one of the main reasons I switched to Apple Mac last April. Two of my iPods died - while within warranty - and were replaced, more or less immediately, without a murmur. Should the nVidia card create difficulties, - and not all of them by nay means have done so, although it is a recognised problem - I expect Apple to honour their warranties as they have done in the past.

Cheers

7. jmdeegan thread starter macrumors member

and the other decision would then be where to buy it from....im leaning toward the apple store online if for no other reason than the new return policy in play. wonder what prompted them to expand it for now....but i may go that route, grab the refurb MBP and have more than 14 days to make sure it's for me or not....

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, my strong preference is always to buy such products from a reputable store. So, Apple online would be a good (and safe) way to go.

Cheers and good luck