Help me diagnose a Power Charging Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by CorporateFelon, Apr 4, 2011.

1. CorporateFelon, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011

CorporateFelon macrumors regular

CorporateFelon

So my computer is reluctant to charge. Some times it does sometimes it doesn't.

I figured it can be 1 of 3 issues.
    The charger it self is starting to go bad.(This has happened before)
    The computer itself doesn't want to charge any more.
    The contacts between between the magsafe connector and the computer need to be cleaned.

This is an original macbook so it is just shy of 5 years old now.

1) I tried using my friends charger. The first couple of connections didn't want to charge the computer. But every other connection after the first few did charge the computer. After that my original charger did charger the computer. However this morning it wont charge at all no matter how many times I disconnect and reconnect it.

2) Based up on the first scenario it may have been a fluke. I guess I need to borrow an other charger to test again to make sure the computer can still charge.

3) Whats the best way to clean the contacts between the magsafe connector and the computer?

Any other ideas I can use to confirm what it may be? At this moment I'm leaning to needing a new power charger, but I want to be sure.

I guess this might be forcing my hand to get a new computer. I had hoped to wait another month or two.

Edit: When I say charging I mean both charging battery and powering the computer. When I plug the charger in the computer doesn't even recognize it.

2. gaz617 macrumors member

I have recently had the exact same problem on my 4 year old macbook, it connects ok sometimes but reads not charging', tried it on a friends and it didn't work for a bit but then did.

The most likely cause for both of us, I think, is the charger. Clean it with cotton buds or something, the charger itself seems unserviceable so either take your mac to the apple store and get them to see if it will charge with a new charger or plump for a new mac.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Try resetting the SMC and check out the link on troubleshooting the MagSafe adapter, both of which are in the CHARGING section of the link below. Also, how many cycles do you have on your battery and what is your battery health? iStat Pro will tell you both. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

4. CorporateFelon thread starter macrumors regular

CorporateFelon

It turned out to be my power adaptor. I picked up a new one and it works as expected.