Help me diagnose an iMac problem

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bigwig, Jun 16, 2009.

1. bigwig macrumors 6502a

iMac G5 Rev B, 2GB RAM, 10.5.7

It suddenly developed the following maladies overnight:

1) It won't sleep. When you select sleep from the menu, the screen darkens, the fans continue for about a minute, then the fans rev up to max speed. It never displays the pulsing white light, and the only option is to hold the power button down to shut it off.

2) It won't shutdown properly. It does shutdown, but rather than take ~10-15 seconds it now takes about a minute before the blissful silence of halted fans.

3) It takes much longer to boot than I remember, and the blue horizontal progress bar doesn't show up. It goes instantly from empty blue screen to login window plus starry background.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Have you checked that your HD is working properly using disk utility? Also repair your permissions and run hardware test (hold D during boot up)

3. djjclark macrumors regular

Look in your console log for any hung processes or error messages.

/applications/utilities/console

4. bigwig thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did a Verify Disk the very first thing, if that's what you mean. A-OK.

Disk Utility has been stuck in "Reading Permissions Database" for the last 8 minutes. I don't remember that happening the last time I did a Permission Repair.

I found out there was a power glitch this morning, but the computer was asleep at the time. Isn't the filesystem synced so even if you lose power during sleep it will be in a fully consistent state when you reboot?

The console shows nothing.

I'll try a hardware test next.

5. bigwig thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. bigwig thread starter macrumors 6502a

After more fiddling (and failure to recognize FireWire devices), I tried an SMU reset. It worked! Thanks for the help.