Help me do this with Folder Actions (spotlight tagging)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by reubs, Jul 6, 2008.

1. reubs macrumors 68000

Okay, here's what I've got:

I've got a folder structure with WORK as the main folder, and I've got various projects within that work folder, and I've also got folders within those folders. Sometimes the structure is as far down as 7 or 8 folders.

I'd to set it up so that I can add a folder action the WORK folder so that any item, no matter which subfolder it goes in to, will get tagged with a specific Spotlight comment.

For example, I have WORK>Committees>Agendas. I also have WORK>Classes>Workshops. If I add anything to Agendas or Workshops, I'd like for it to not only get the specific tag for those folders, but I also want it to get a WORK tag.

If that makes sense, can someone help me find out how to do that? I've found something that will tag folders as they are added, but it won't tag the items within the folder, so that's frustrating.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer here.

2. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

Alright, I think I've determined that this will be easier if I save an automator workflow as a Folder Action, but I still can't figure out how to make it add the Spotlight tag to any items added into a subfolder of a main folder.

Any ideas?