help me estimate ATI 3D and Nvidia Quadro4 AGP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cox Orange, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

Hello,

if I bought these two cards, what would you recommend me to spend on it maximum?

Both AGP:
    - ATI 3D
    - Nvidia P71 Quadro 4 DVI-I 64MB

2. Cox Orange, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011

Cox Orange thread starter macrumors 68000

PS: I need an answer till tomorrow evening (Tuesday). Thanks!

3. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Could you get any more vague?? "ATI 3D"???

What computer is this for? What do you need it for? If it's a PC card you're after then those P71 Quadros go for about $7 according to a quick Google search.

If it's a Mac (although I didn't even think Quadro 4s were ever on any Macs) then you're looking at about $20 minimum + delivery for an AGP card although I'd question whether it'd be worth spending that on a machine of that age.

4. Cox Orange thread starter macrumors 68000

sorry, ATI 3D is the onlything that is written on it and I think this is, because it was ATIs first 3D card. The Nvidia is said to be a Mac one, as stated by the seller (by the way, why would I ask for a windows card in a macforum ;) it is for a PowerMac G4 DA or Gigabit ethernet)

I know these cards are old and there are better ones, I'd like to know the worth of them, though :)

5. Cox Orange thread starter macrumors 68000

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Do you have product pages? Just specs would do.

How much video ram is on each card? PowerMac G4 is so old these cards should be pretty cheap and has no major differences. You probably want to get a Mac only card though unless you know how to flash the firmware.

7. Cox Orange thread starter macrumors 68000

unfortunately no, I do not have any specs. I wrote all I know.

The Quadro4 has 64MB of RAM (as I wrote above). No further specs, than above. It is clear they were no BTO options and not included in a base configuration. I could not find any info on them. I thought they were Mac Editions (not flashed).

8. phairphan macrumors 6502a

phairphan

Without more information, it's impossible to determine what these cards are and, therefore, how much they're worth. I bet the ATI card is the first Radeon card. This is a slow card even for the G4. I wouldn't spend much money on it. Honestly, for most modern things, I can't imagine you'll notice a difference between a Rage 128 and a Radeon - both will be very slow. The former can usually be picked up for the less than $10. You didn't mention if you were trying to replace a bad card or looking for more performance.

9. PeterQVenkman macrumors 68020

Since you don't really know what they are, how much do you think you can spend and not be too mad if neither of them work?

10. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I didn't know if you meant Windows or Mac because I wasn't aware that any nVidia Quadros pre FX were released for the Mac.

Either way, I wouldn't spend more than $10 on any card of that age. Well apart from a Voodoo 5 6000 maybe.

11. Cox Orange thread starter macrumors 68000

I was interested in them, just out of curiosity and was interested to test them. I just didn't want to get screwed. Even if I had bought them just because I was curious, what they would be, I wouldn't have wanted to pay every price.

The interesting thing is, I asked Nvidia and the person claimed, these cards were produced by manufacturers like PNY and so on, if it is an Apple card, then Apple had produced it themselves and I should ask them.
    I always thought Apple themselves did let others produce their cards (like ASUS)???

I more and more get the feeling this isn't a Mac card and the seller was wrong.

Now it is obsolete anyways. Actually, when I think about it, now, I think it wasn't a smart idea wanting to test them anyway. BTW, I did not know they would even be slower than a ATI Rage or Nvidia 2 MX. When I said "I know there are faster cards" I thought of something like a Radeon 9000 being faster than the ATI 3D and Nvidia quadro4.

Sorry, I guess, my question was very pointless from the beginning...

Thank you very much for your help!

12. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

No problem! It does sound like the nVidia card isn't actually a Mac card. It may have been flashed with a GeForce mac bios but I doubt it. If it's for a machine of that age that you want to resurrect then look for a cheap mac compatible card on eBay - I think I've seen them for about $10 or so. It doesn't really matter what it is anymore because any graphics card that'll work in a machine of that age is not going to be any 'good' in modern standards anymore. I.e. a fast card a decade ago will feel about the same as a slow card a decade ago. :)

The fastest AGP card you can put in a G4 is (I believe) a flashed GeForce 7800 GS. The fastest official Apple card for a G4 is (I believe) the Radeon 9800 Pro.

13. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Sounds like the seller has no clue. He obviously doesn't know Mac card comes with different firmware.

Not a Mac card. Unlikely to work.