Help me evaluate performance differentials

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sfscott, Oct 13, 2008.

1. sfscott macrumors member

I am thinking about getting a Mac.

I currently run Vista Business on a Lenovo T60 laptop with a 2.0Ghz core duo with an ATI graphics card and 3MB of RAM.

Does anyone have an opinion on any of the following:

1. Performance of a MacBook vs. the Lenovo
    2. Performance of a MacBook Pro vs. the Lenovo
    3. MBP vs. MB

The lion's share of my work is MS office, Outlook, Web browsing, some Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop. Media-wise, I just use iTunes and view DVDs. I also will use some computer-based training for private pilot training, but I imagine running those under Fusion or BootCamp. I am not a gamer.

I recognize that there will be a whole lot of new info/options after tomorrow, but want some generalities.

BTW, my Vista machine runs just fine and is stable, so I am looking for a good set of reasons to justify a purchase to the wife. What benefits/differences would a Mac provide

2. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

sounds like macbook is plenty, the MBP would be more useful if you were doing video work.

A few months ago I was absolutely sure I needed an MBP but I stuck around here and listened to what people had to say and I ended up being happy with my MB and saving a few hundred dollars.

http://guides.macrumors.com/MacBook

http://guides.macrumors.com/MacBook_Pro

I switched from a Vista machine, and what I like about my MB is that it just works and the UI is awesome - have your wife try it out in a store.

When you try it out ask a sales rep about spaces and stacks people also go nuts over expose' but I don't really use it

3. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Although I can't answer your question in terms of technical specs, here are a few general thoughts...

What is your reason for buying a new MB/MBP in the first place? Not to be judgmental, but if you're looking for a justification, then perhaps you already have your answer.

Although I'm not an expert with Macs, I do have a lot of experience with IBMs (former employee). I can tell you in all honesty that the T60 is a good machine. Sure, it's ugly as hell (what IBM isn't?), but it's rock solid and it gets the job done. Moreover, IBM has excellent customer service and should you need to replace any parts, they can be had for relatively cheap. From my experience, it's also easier to resell IBM notebooks over other PCs brands (granted, they may not retain as much value as Macs).

To sum things up: 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'. As painful as it is to listen to the wife nag, she usually has a point.