Help me experience the best of Cydia

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by millertime021, May 4, 2010.

1. millertime021 macrumors 6502a

millertime021

So I'm new to the whole jailbreaking thing.

What are some good downloads on Cydia? I've started experimenting with a few things, but I'd like to know what you guys feel are "necessary" apps/tweaks/themes/etc to download.

Thanks!!!

2. rwd hero macrumors 6502

For me MyWi is a must, it lets you use your phone as a mobile hotspot. Since you have a 3Gs you should also try proswitcher (allows you to run applications in the background, and has a very nice UI), it lags my 3G pretty bad but the 3Gs handles it nicely.

3. millertime021 thread starter macrumors 6502a

millertime021

Thanks!

Anyone else? Suggestions? Must haves?

4. foranor macrumors regular

I would suggest to look at SBSettings and maybe Categories.

For me, Jailbreaking is worth any effort for SBSettings alone.

5. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Don't forget Lockinfo and Winterboard! I definitely agree about the SBSettings comment though

6. bripab007 macrumors 6502

Backgrounder is actually what allows you to run apps in the background; ProSwitcher is an app switcher that works in conjunction with backgrounded/foregrounded apps.

Kirikae and Circuitous are too other, highly-popular app-switchers. I prefer Kirikae at the moment for its quickness and seemingly small footprint.

For me, Categories/CategoriesSB is the thing to have. You know how Saurik said that changing the background seemed to be the #1 reason to JailBreak? Well, Categories is my #1 thing. That said, it looks like that's one of the things that will be made obsolete by the folders implementation in OS 4.0.

Other must-haves are Infinidock (or, if you really don't foresee needing more than 5 docked apps, FiveIconDock), SBSettings (a status bar swipe that gives you quick access to Settings.app toggles, like BT, WiFi, 3G radio, etc.) and Activator (centralized app invocation settings; let's you pick what motions/actions invoke things like Backgrounder, Kirikae, ProSwitcher, SBSettings, Snappy, etc.).

Oh, another awesome one is Snappy. This is a super-quick-loading Camera app that can be activated by a number of methods via Activator (e.g. press-and-hold on the status bar), even on the lock screen and also allows you to use your physical volume rocker buttons for snapping the pic. Pretty much a must have for the $0.99 or $1.99 asking price.

7. Derkatwork macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

look up infiniboard and infinidock. The former extends the pages on your home screen (vertically or horizontally) to infinity! You can guess about infinidock. Lockinfo is cool too. This lets you display information like voicemails, texts, alerts on your lock screen. Very fun apps though they cost money.

8. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

Right now I use

universal search - turns spotlight into a godsend. Search google amazon ect right from it

quickreply for SMS- reply to text messages over top of other apps

Kirikae- multitasking, done similar to the ui apple uses in 4.0

categories- folders

mywi- turn your iPhone into a wifi hotspot

I'm not using it now. But music controls is great for listening to pandora. I'm looking for a low footprint app to give me wallpapers. I don't wanna install winterboard

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Kirikae is much better than proswitcher, IMO. No lag that I can tell.

Get all the other apps suggested here as well as these:

Cycorder - gives you video capability like the 3GS.
    OpenSSH - SSH into the iPhone. You have to have this if something goes wrong.
    MobileTerminal - Terminal for the iPhone
    PkgBackup - Backs up all JB apps. MUST HAVE.

10. bripab007 macrumors 6502

That would be Bosspaper. Check it out.

11. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

Will bosspaper just let me use a SINGLE wallpaper. I don't care about the switching between 10 wallpapers

12. bripab007 macrumors 6502

Yeah, it does. You could also just look it up in Cydia and read the descrip :D

13. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

Music Control is awesome. Finally, music while I'm surfing.

14. mustnotsleep macrumors 6502

cydelete, music control, backgrounder, proswitcher, katra weather based icon, sbsettings, winterboard, android lock, extended preferences, fontswap, beachball loader, five icon dock, five column springboard, fivel rows, matte ui graphite, mobile volume sound, multi icon mover, poof, mx tube, privacy, weathericon, and some addl addons for sbsettings. just got through redownloading all of that :).

15. eyespii macrumors 6502

is there a jb app that would give me something like the android notification system? I was really disappointed that the 4.0 announcement didn't improve the current iphone notification system.

16. jimmy83 macrumors 65816

17. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

Lockinfo screen lets you put the weather, calendar events, todos and more on your lock screen.