Help me feel good!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fthree, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Fthree, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014

Fthree macrumors 6502a

So I've been using the late 2013 rmbp 13 and am absolutely loving it. My fiancé wanted a computer so I manned up and bought a 15 inch late 2013 (16g 512, dedicated graphics yada yada) for myself yesterday and gave her my old one. computer is amazing. I use the laptops daily and commute with them and keep up with school,business, music, video, and pictures. I guess my problem is it just feels different. It feels like and runs like a computer superhero but is taking some adjustment. I was sold on it because of the future proofing ability of it (and my fiancé was happy with my old one) someone with these same feelings please post some insight!

2. leman macrumors 604

If you want to feel good, shouldn't you be arranging it with your fiancé? :p

3. Fthree thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha yeah she is extremely happy I'm just adjusting to this beast.

4. borgqueens macrumors member

borgqueens

Is it the size of the display that takes some getting used to or is it the increased horsepower ?

I went from 13" MBP to 27" iMac and had to get used to the bigger display but love it now.

Having a nice super fast rMBP is a lovely and wonderful thing so congratulations on you new rMBP and enjoy.

5. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

so, you got a computer that you're really happy about, no complaints etc. and it is very fast.. and you want us to help you feel good about it?

what the hell.

6. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

This is a weird post. First time someone needs reassurance for something that is too good. Return it for the base model if you feel its too powerful for you I guess :confused:

7. Fthree thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess my post seems off. I'm just so used to how awesome my 13 was size-wise and speed wise that this one will take a bit of getting used to

8. stevemiller macrumors 65816

If the 13" was your perfect size/power combo for your needs why not just get another 13 instead of a 15? I can certainly see how a person would feel kinda weird with a bigger, heavier, pricier device. If the 13" wasn't slowing you down, the extra power in the 15" is probably sitting unused.

That said, I have always used the 15", it's a great compromise in itself. Load up some games from steam or batch process some vacation photos and you'll start loving it more and more :)

9. Fthree thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, about to get aperture and start some editing. I love the 512 memory and 16g ram, I'm loving it more every use. I gave my 13 to my fiancé and if the 15 didn't work out was going to take it back and order a 13 16gram 512 retina. But am starting to like it. Please let me know how I can get the games from steam?!

10. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

I don't mean to be that guy but....if the 13" was perfect for you, there will be no perfect 15" for you. The 15" will always have better specs, but it'll always be a "larger" computer. I personally like the 15" and think the 13" is (although much more "comfortable" - while moving around the house) a bit too small, so I can't say I have the same problem as you; however I feel like I would in the opposite manner (13" too small, and 15" perfect).

Long story short, you can't get over it, but you can get used to it. There is no feeling better about it :D

11. pricej636 macrumors 6502

There is definitely a such thing as too much machine. We as guys tend to overreach when we are in front of shiny things. When I purchased my most recent rMBP, I set out intending to buy the 13" rMBP. Came home with the base model 15" rMBP. Its built into our DNA to spend more money then necessary.

Personally, I think if you are doing video editing and whatnot, you will appreciate the extra screen real estate.

12. Fthree thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ive been using it quite frequently lately and am growing used to the size and power in this thing! Love it! I really bought it to future proof myself and to try and get into new things with the extra horsepower that i now have. I guess i was kinda scared of the amount of money I spent on it but i did get the education discount so it was $2399 instead of $2599 lol.

13. Qaanol macrumors 6502a

You are highly privileged. Your nation of origin, ethnicity, gender, religious background, sexual orientation, and your family’s socio-economic status have provided you with huge advantages that you rarely notice. You are the recipient of constant and innumerable small benefits throughout your daily life that most people do not get, which all add up to you having a much easier time advancing in your education, career, and life goals than others.

You have never had to worry about where you next meal would come from, or whether there would be clean water for you to drink and bathe in. You do not get pulled over by police or stopped and frisked on the street based on how you look. You do not get sexually harrassed and assaulted by strangers on a daily basis. You do not receive death threats, rape threats, or unwanted sexual advances when you speak your opinions online.

The vast majority of things that you believe you achieved on your own, came about primarily because other people gave you everything necessary and allowed you the opportunity. There are millions of people in the world who are smarter than you, more skilled than you, and better than you are at everything you do; but most of them never have the opportunity to demonstrate it because of the circumstances of their birth and the innate prejudices that permeate our world. You are the beneficiary of the inequality that leads to their misfortune.

Your life is pretty great, and it is all due to luck and happenstance.

How’d I do?

14. Fthree thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the words. While i do admit there are others out there with less fortune than I, I will say that it should not go unnoticed that I have also put myself in a position to be able to afford certain luxuries that even my peers cannot. I am by no means extremely well off i go without to gain other things that are very much so appreciated. That is why i worry so about being able to love this machine. Thanks again!