Help me figure out the best storage solution

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kuebby, Mar 5, 2008.

1. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Let me first start with an explanation. I've been trying to unclutter my desk of wires and components so I'm redoing my entire storage situation as that is what seems to take up the most room. I'm looking for a solution that will work for, hopefully, a few years. I'd also like it to have as few components as possible and, if possible, have them placed somewhere other than my desk (ie wireless). Cost is also an issue but if I can find a good solution that will last I'm willing to finance it.

My current situation is kind of fractured and the result of just adding things over the last few years. I have an 80GB HD in my MBP (but I just bought a 250GB to replace it), an 80GB external for TM, and a 320GB external for storage (contains a lot of audio and video, I don't do any professional work that requires a scratch disc or anything). This is plenty of space, I'll upgrade it for the sake of future-proofing but I certainly do not need any more than 1TB of space, total. For wireless I have an Airport Extreme Base Station.

What I was thinking of doing is just switching to a setup with a 250GB internal HD and a 500GB Time Capsule. This would provide a wireless setup for TM and file access as well as giving me plenty of internal storage. I was also going to make an external of my old internal drive so I'd have portable storage as well. One thing I'm curious about, is there any way to set up the TC so I can access it remotely via the internet? Or if not, can I connect a HD to it via USB/ethernet to access over the internet?

But, I was just thinking of getting an NAS and just plugging it into my AEBS. This would give me wireless storage but not wireless TM. I'm also unsure of how well the Airdisk feature works with ethernet.

So I guess my real question is, what's a good solution to my problem of storage and clutter?

PS. Sorry this is so long.

2. pazreal macrumors regular

Your TimeCapsule idea sounded really good, plus can't you just plug in your big external to the TC to enlarge that? Stuff it all in a closet and have it out of your hair

3. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

Get a USB hard disk (diy 750GB!) and plug it into the AEBS. There is a tweak somewhere on the web that enables Time Machine backups to AEBS disks.

4. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

To the OP: Thank you for being clear and concise with your situation and asking your question directly at the end. It makes it easier to understand for sure! :)

I don't have as much advice to offer as I do an intrigue for the OP's thoughts on being able to access files from over the Internet. This is something I wondered about and would entertain doing myself. I know there are enclosures that allow such a thing, but if TC did it, that'd be just as interesting because everything can be worked into one unit (without tweaks).

My friend operates a file server out of his house that runs on several VMWare virtual OSes, and being able to access files from it from my place across the US is great. I'd love for that same type of deal for me, just in a small, simplistic, sexy package of a router or a router/HDD combo.

I'm merely throwing out a +1 on the OP's question on this single desired feature...any further advice would be great. I hope I'm not hijacking anything by asking this...haha

Ian

PS: I currently have a DIY 125 GB external enclosure that's working GREAT (Icy Dock makes a great enclosure). The SATA HDD I have in there stems from an old desktop unit. I plan on using this as additional storage, perhaps as a TM drive + mp3 (40-50 GB worth of music)...man I have a lot of learning to do once my first Mac arrives...

5. jfull15 macrumors 6502

Well, right now I am currently redoing me setup to where the drawers in my desk actually hold my external drives & iPods & cameras, i just drilled a few holes and ran wires through the thing.. so now i have a drawer that pulls out and has all my devices plugged in with a USB hub, not quite finished, but when I am I'll post pics - a great way to clear up wires.

6. sidharth80 macrumors member

I am basically looking to get a HDD which I can plug into my router and then be able to access the data in HDD from anywhere in the world over the internet?

Can anyone suggest me any such HDD/Router combo? I found that WD MyBook has that kinda software... but dint read good reviews abt it...

Any suggestions? Thanks