Help me figure out what I'm missing for tethering?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jrm27, Sep 20, 2010.

1. jrm27 macrumors 6502

Okay, need some advice for what I'm sure is a stupid question.

A few months ago (actually the same day I got my iPhone 4) I took my 3G and jailbroke it. Then I unlocked it to take it overseas for use while I traveled. Now I'm back home and thought it would be cool to use the 3G for tethering. I really want to hook it up to my netbook for some mobile stuff and then to hook it up to my xbox to perform an update.

So, as of now my 3G is jailbroken and unlocked and not activated on any network. Can I get a pay-as-you-go sim card from somewhere put it on the 3G And be good to go? Where could I get such a sim card? Everywhere around me seems to only have cards to re-up you minutes..

Also I've installed tetherme from cydia, so I think all I'm missing now is a way to get connected. Any help? Thanks!

2. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

http://www.mysimplemobile.com/Index.aspx

You won't get 3G speeds on the iPhone because the network isn't compatible with the 3G chip on the iPhone. You will only get edge speeds. It's on the T-Mobile network.

AT&T has 3G on GoPhone service but it is expensive. 1MB for $4.99 and 100MB for $19.99.

I don't know of any other providers that offer data.

3. Kayan macrumors 6502

You could probably just buy a normal sized SIM adapter for your micro-SIM and put the SIM from your i4 into your 3G and tether from your real account.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

pay-as-you-go sims for data are very limited and expensive.
    Unless you have a postpaid account with unlimited or at least 2GB of data I wouldnt bother with tethering.