Help me find a printer please

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AztecKing, Sep 8, 2008.

1. AztecKing macrumors member

AztecKing

My HP all in one is toast so I need a new printer and want to get away from HP if I can because of the worthless software they have. I would like something that prints color and b&w, scans and copies. I would also like it to be able to scan to PDF easily (something the HP software doesn't do well). Anybody have any ideas? Thanks.

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

I tend to like the current models from Brother.

Multifunction Ink Jet Models
    Multifunction Laser Models
    You didn't specify which type. ;)

I don't like inkjet based printers myself, due to cost of supplies and clogging. I definitely prefer laser. When I compared the consumables costs for the Brother laser models, I found they are less expensive than others, particularly vs. HP whose supplies are designed to expire, used up or not. :eek:

3. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I've got a Kodak 5100 all-in-one that I bought after my Epson rolled over. Prints in color and b&w, scans and copies, but the real high point is cheap ink. 10 bucks for black, 10 bucks for color.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

Is this Kodak ink or 3rd party?
    3rd party has caused me endless problems. Even brand name, so I decided to bite the bullet, and get a laser. ;)

5. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Kodak ink. I've had no problems with the printer, the only disappointment being its inability to print wirelessly. A 16-foot USB cable and a hole drilled through to the MBP fixed that dilemma.

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

Well, wireless models are available these days. :D
    But, since you already drilled the hole, you have options. :p

7. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

The Epson I had had prior to the Kodak printed wirelessly but then it coughed up a lung and I made the switch.

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

Just do what you did before. ;) When the Kodak goes DOA, get whatever you like that fits the bill. :D
    But don't forget to figure out the consumable costs. :p
    I'm glad to hear that Kodak does well in this regard. :)

9. AztecKing thread starter macrumors member

AztecKing

Thanks for the help from all of you. I wound up buying the HP L7680 and was surprised at the ease of scanning to Preview. My old HP software was worthless so at least this is a step in the right direction. Thanks again.

10. Ron Baird macrumors newbie

Just wandering through the forum, and noted your post.

As an aside, the question has come up a few times about printing wirelessly - a feature not built into the printers. Rather, we have left that to our engineers and concept teams to include if they believe it worth while - it is of course, so I have faith that they will.

For now, however, if you need wireless connectivity, Kodak has found a third party resolution. Try visiting the following site to see if their offering might be what you want. It is a wireless USB hub that will work with Kodak printers. Try visiting http://www.silexamerica.com/

Talk to you soon, or see you around the forum.

Ron Baird
    the friendly Kodak guy

11. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Thanks, Ron. I always assumed it was just a driver issue, but what do I know? I looked at the Silex option and decided a 20-buck investment in the long USB cable was a better option.

12. Trip.Tucker Guest

I have dumped HP after many issues with their drivers and logic board issues in more than one of their units.

Canon. All the way. The drivers are built into Leopard or you can use the vendor supplied drivers. The Canon range of printers from simple inkjets to multifunction inkjets and laser printers are solid and reliable units. More importantly, the drivers written for OS X are 100%.

13. Freis968 macrumors 6502a

Freis968

$10 for color? I have seen it only for $14.99! Where do you buy your color at?

14. Freis968 macrumors 6502a

Freis968

I love the new Kodak All In One ESP-3. I got it at Best Buy for $99 I think it was. I just love it because of the price of the ink at $10 for black and $15 for color.

WARNING RANTING AND RAVING AHEAD!!!

Epson is HORRIBLE! Hear that you EPSON CON ARTIST ****ERS??? They are the ultimate in ripping off the consumers for their barely filled ink cartridges that run out after printing 10 pictures. I thought their hi-def printers were great, but why would you pay $49 for the printer and then turn around and spend $80 on six ink cartridges? I used to just thrown the printer away when it ran out of ink and just kept buying a new printer...it was cheaper. But since I cared for the environment and got sick of having to buy new printers all the time I finally gave Kodak a try and I love my All In One.

15. Freis968 macrumors 6502a

Freis968

Only 16', HA, I have a 25' USB cable running from my Mac Pro to my Kodak on the other side of the room...:)

16. nanofrog macrumors G4

At $10 for black and $15 for color, it doesn't seem too bad. Consider the per page cost though, and ink jets are lousy. And yes, printer manufacturers make more money on consumables than the printers themselves. One printer vs. $$$ on ink.

Lasers are the same as well. It just costs considerably less per page, and in the case of Brother, they use separate toners, drums, transfer belt, and waste toner receptacle. HP uses all in one toner cartridges, and it's more expensive that way for the end user. If you had to buy all of this at once, it would out-cost the printer. What makes up for it, is that they are replaced at different intervals (page counts ~ x*10k). Otherwise, just buy a new printer. :p

You get what you pay for I guess...:rolleyes: :D So I go for the better print quality and features if possible. ;) :p

17. Freis968 macrumors 6502a

Freis968

I basically only use my printer for printing out occasional documents that don't require excellent quality and a few pics every now and then for my relatives everything else I email. My printing usage went from 100% back in 2001 to probaly 5% currently.

Anyone else finding the printer becoming extinct?

I guess I got off topic here...sorry about that.

And to get back on topic, so YES, the Kodak one handles everything I need just wonderfully...NICE SAVE...:)

18. nanofrog macrumors G4

I don't mind using the computer to read a small .pdf, etc. file of a few pages. It's when they get large, I prefer to print (800+ pgs). And I can keep them for reference. :D

The printed version happens to be more convienient, portable (as it may reside on a desktop), and no power required to read it. ;)

Other than that, my paper usage has declined significantly. It just happens to coincide with conservation of resources. :p

19. topher2889 macrumors regular

topher2889

I would recommend the Brother HL-2170W laser (Cheap, reliable, wireless, fast printing) except for the fact that after 10.5.5 it will no longer print :mad:

Apple, "whoops"

20. nanofrog macrumors G4

I didn't need, nor care to use wireless. As per the 10.5.5, Ouch! :eek:

21. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Sorry - Last time I bought I got 'em at Sam's Club in a package of black & color together for around 20 bucks. Normally, they're 10 for black and 15 for color (I think). Anyways, significantly cheaper than the 60 bucks I was laying out for Epson ink - and THAT was in a specially priced pack from BJ's.

22. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Damn! OK, I'm going out and getting a 100-footer and moving my printer across the street.

23. Freis968 macrumors 6502a

Freis968

LOL! Send me a photo of that when you get it set up...LOL!

24. nanofrog macrumors G4

+1! :D
    Ethernet OTOH, is doable. :p