Help me find a sexy bag for my 17"er

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gødspeed, Jun 24, 2009.

1. gødspeed macrumors regular

gødspeed

I like brown canvas, rough brown leather (none of that smooth crap), and an overall rugged appearance, but nothing too bulky. I like both messenger-style bags as well as backpacks. It needs to fit a 17" uMBP as well as a few accessories and a slim spiral-bound notebook. I don't like those round-looking messenger bags; I prefer square/rectangular, with rounded corners. It should be comfortable, durable, and not ungodly expensive (<$200, ideally).

Thanks!

2. gødspeed thread starter macrumors regular

gødspeed

Yeah I was hoping for something a bit sleeker.

Also, I'm looking to buy a leather sleeve for my 17" unibody. Any pointers on that?

3. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

I'm in the same boat. I have incase sleeves for my MBP 17" and 13," but I need a bag that will hold them both (one or the other)....

4. xxMacAttackxx macrumors member

xxMacAttackxx

I as well am looking for a good backpack for the UMBP 17". If someone has any suggestions that would be great!

5. mpopkin macrumors 6502

mpopkin

I would recommend the Crumpler Beerback, it is designed for the 17" uMBP(MBP too) has tons of pockets, removable laptop case that allows you to carry the laptop seperately as well, or use the bag as a backpack, it has tons of storage space for accessories, several textbooks, and is built to last for years with good weather resistance, i have had crumpler bags for years and they have been nothing short of the best, i have used incase,booq and timbuk2, none compare
    it is around 175 USD, but is well worth it

6. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

7. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

The only thing I can think of that basically looks like that would be a Crumpler bad.

8. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

Not a bag but a sleeve just how you would like one...

http://www.applesac.com/original.html

Ordered myself one for my 15". I'll post pics when I've got it.

9. HerbyGunther macrumors member

I can recommend the Incase Backpack. Very solid bag and stylish.

10. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

I am actually working on making a leather sleeve with bamboo batting for protection with a liner ( duck cloth canvas ) the design is down, I'll probably finish it by next week and post it here if you guys like it, maybe I can make more :) i really haven't found what your looking for which is what I was looking for and at a decent price, so I'm making it.

11. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

Attached Files:

12. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

That looks perfect! One pouch for the MacBook an the front pouch for the charger! :D

13. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

With a budget near $200 I would take a look at what you can get from Booq in that range.

http://www.booqbags.com

14. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Clearly that fits into the OP's looks request.

15. PAC88 macrumors 6502

I agree with the other poster who recommended Crumpler bags.. I have a camera bag from them and it's been great for the past 2 years. they are very durable and I believe they are all water resistant also.. which is a good thing when you're carrying around cameras and notebooks

I would check these two out that I found.
    https://www.crumplerbags.com/flash/flash.aspx#/english/product-details/cashmere-blazer---cb11a.html

https://www.crumplerbags.com/flash/flash.aspx#/english/product-details/skivvy-large---sk0311a.html

the first one is a little larger but they both have space to fit the 17" plus a couple other things.. check out the other bags and backpacks too, I'm sure you would find something that works

16. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

Yeah, you're right - I neglected to stick with an all brown look. My apologies, OC.
    At least it wasn't a UHaul or a blue hip pouch, I guess...

17. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I mean iThink it's a better suggestion then what the OP is going to find...but... The U-Haul would keep it safe though...

18. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

19. bladerunner88 macrumors member

20. Jsimon9633 macrumors regular

LOVE IT, just ordered one for my MBA and MBP 17

21. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

I dont like the applesac, it fits VERY loose and slides around a lot. It wouldnt be so bad if the velcro was placed an extra inch lower so the flap could stretch a little and hold it tightly. And the liner leaves behind little fibers you have to brush off frequently.