Help Me Find Notes.app Data!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Laisha, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Laisha macrumors member

Laisha

Unfortunately, though I can pull up threads which use the word Notes, I can't find my problem.

I bought a Mini a few weeks ago, and the Migration Assistant wouldn't work, so I migrated manually. For the most part, this was easy, but I can't find the data from Notes.app so I can copy it from the old iMac to the new Mini.

Any clues?

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

/Users/<your username>/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes/Data/Library/Notes

But seriously easy to do via iCloud - if you don't use iCloud with Notes hard to see why you use it.

3. Laisha thread starter macrumors member

Laisha

Bottom line is that, frankly, I don't understand iCloud.

Please forgive my ignorance. I'm a grandmother who started computing on DOS, knew COBALT, and only switched to Apple in 2009, so I'm far behind the curve and never know what I should and should not know how to use.

If I wanted to use iCloud with Notes, how do I set that up?

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Well without knowing what your precise old and new machines and OS' are:

Setup an AppleID if you don't have one.
    Go into your OLD machine and login with the AppleID in Preferences/iCloud, make sure "Notes" is ticked and it will sync your Notes TO the iCloud.

Go into your NEW machine and login with the AppleID in Preferences/iCloud, make sure "Notes" is ticked and it will sync your Notes FROM the iCloud.

Log your OLD machine out of iCloud.

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

No problem, if you get stuck, come back and we will sort it out.