Help me find some speakers

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ®îçhå®?, Aug 18, 2008.

1. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Hey guys,
    I really am struggling to find some speakers that i like and i need some help from you guys to get the right ones.
    To fill you in, i will listen to a lot of music on it so it must sound good, be stylistic, pretty loud and preferably have an external remote like the bose companion 3 speakers. My budget is £100, ~$200 but can stretch up to about $250.
    If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated!

2. kixsand macrumors regular

kixsand

Well,

I just got the Bose Companion 3's that you reference in your post and I have to say that I'm pretty pleased with them.

I had been looking the the Klipsch Pro-Media 2.1's as well as some powered monitors from KRK and Eidoral but was sort of dragging my feet. You see, my wife had issued a directive for me to clean up the computer area and scale things back a bit. Up until now I had been using a Marantz amplifier and a pair of PSB bookshelf speakers, but that took up a lot of space.

So, yesterday was my wedding anniversary and my wife surprised me with the Bose speakers. I had looked at them myself but had dismissed the 3's as being too small and the 5's as being way too expensive. So when my wife showed up with the 3's I figured I had better give them a shot.

The single biggest plus for me is the size...the cubes are tiny and take up next to no space at all on the desktop. And the sound is very good...surprsingly so from such a small package. I realize now that all the other speaker systems I was considering weren't really going to save me much space over my previous setup.

I still find the bass from the sub a bit boomy and will experiment a bit more with the placement of it and the crossover setting but am certain that I will find the sweet spot.

Good luck.

3. Rtb1 macrumors member

Rtb1

I use Bose Companion 3's with AirTunes to make my laptop really wireless. I listen to a wide range of music, for rock, jazz, and electronic, you can't beat them.
    hip hop is good too, but not really what they are designed for.

4. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

I have heard the Companion 3s and they do sound VERY good. They do have a lot of bass though. Currently I am using 2 Mirage Omnisat Micros and an old Polk subwoofer with an old Harman Kardon receiver (needs to be replaced), but that may be a bit over your price range. (I'm not sure how much it all goes for now) I used to have JBL Creature 2s, but the Mirage have now spoiled me so I can't even stand how they sound (they have been handed down to my brother after I raided the basement for my current setup). If you like how they sound, however, they would put you way underbudget so you could spend your money elsewhere as well. I found some Mirage iPod speakers that are all-in-ones, and you could get one of these for your entire setup. They have the same 360 degree technology used in their other speakers. They are not out yet, but will be in September. They have an iPod syncing/charging dock as well as a 3.5 millimeter inputMiragespeakers.com

5. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

I would recomend MX5021 by Altec Lansing

They are great speakers with good high notes and tons of bass! Also they are very durable, I've dropped mine several times and they continue to perform perfectly.

OR;

If you want a little higher quality sound with a little higher price try the FX6021