Help me find the culprit...

Discussion in 'iPod' started by wdogmedia, Jul 9, 2007.

1. wdogmedia macrumors member

So my cousin calls me today, panicked because he got charged for 200 iTMS song downloads that the didn't buy. He thought somebody had hacked into his computer, but in reality it turns out that his "secret question" for his account was really easy to figure out, so I told him that most likely one of his kids or friends sneaked in nabbed some free tunes.

He emailed Apple, who basically said they were sorry but he'd have to deal with his bank, which he did. I told him to change his password, change his secret question and reset the machine authorizations for his account. He's understandably pissed, but is there any way to find out who did this? Since the songs were downloaded to someone's computer, would there be some way to at least track the address they went to?

Thanks...

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I'm not sure on how to track down who did it, but he should change his password and question and then in his iTunes account de-authorize all computers to play the music and then re-authorize his own.

If anything they won't be able to play the songs...

3. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

How do you deauthorize all computers? I have 4 authorized right now, but I'm only using 2 (the other 2 are, I'm guessing, back when I reinstalled Windows or something). I wanted to clean all that up but I can't find the button.

4. hanschien macrumors 6502

hanschien

You can only deauthorize all computers when you have used up all 5 authorizations. IIRC, you can only do this once a year.

5. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

So I would have to find another computer to authorize, then I'll have that option?

Maybe I'll have to do another reinstall.

6. hanschien macrumors 6502

hanschien

Or you can authorize one of your songs on a friends computer and then do the deauthorization.