Help Me Find Updated Graphics Card Drivers For Windows 7 =P

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by flipster, Feb 23, 2011.

1. flipster macrumors 6502a

I decided to download Windows 7 for gaming, but I heard that the Bootcamp drivers were yucky so can anyone help me out here?

I need the latest and best graphics card drivers for the Nvidia Geforce 8800 GS card that came with the iMac. Thanks!!

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Have you checked www.nvidia.com? That's where the most up-to-date drivers are gonna be.

3. flipster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah but the thing is with apple branding is that, the 8800GS is definitely not a desktop card, which means its a laptop card which means I have no idea what drivers to look for because Apple hid its real identity. Ive never downloaded graphics card drivers before lol, so any help here is apperciated :D

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

It's not about the card, it's about the chipset. Makes no difference whether it's a desktop or laptop "card."

You must not have looked very hard.

EDIT: I have no idea what you mean about Apple "hiding its real identity" - it's right there on NVIDIA's list.

Attached Files:

5. flipster thread starter macrumors 6502a

The PC version of the 8800 GS is a 384mb graphics card. Apple's is 512mb so that doesn't make sense.

It has been known that the 8800GS is really an 8800m GTS or GTX but im not sure of which

You might think its as simple as that, but its not. I have no idea what this card really is, so i have no idea on what drivers to download. Apple only uses mobile graphics cards in their iMacs, and that download is for desktop cards.

6. Zortrium macrumors 6502

It's a 8800M GTS. Not that it should matter, since I'm about positive that the drivers for the GTS and the GTX are identical.

7. bmb012 macrumors 6502

One driver tends to support a wide range of cards.

Memory is going to be irrelevant. And if anything goes wrong, roll back the driver, very easy.

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Okay then, whatever you do, DON'T, I repeat, DON'T download it.

(it works in my iMac with the same chipset, but I obviously don't know what I'm talking about)

9. flipster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Never said that, but you installed desktop class drivers in a computer with a mobility graphics card. Yeah it works, but it's not the right drivers (those drivers weren't even made for the card in the imac as the imac uses a nvidia geforce 8800m gts), and the right drivers could be a dramatic increase in performance.
    I didn't ask for you to be an ******* btw