Help me fix blue screen of death (leopard)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sceneshifter, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Sceneshifter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

Hello,

When I shut down my macbook (not sleep/hybernate/deep sleep), so an actual shut down, and want to boot it up later, I often get stuck at a blue screen. Like stuck, nothing to do, nothing happening either. Apparently this has something to do with apps that want to launch themselves at that time, but are not compatible and hang your system. Great! Looking for the solution they say to do an archive & install of Leopard, wow, not gonne happen!

Can someone explain me how to fix it using the terminal etc... ? This is a gigantic pain in the good old bum, and can't wait to fix it.. Help is greatly appreciated (I searched the forums but I don't know the name of my problem, so was unable to find solution)

Thanks!

edit: The fix right now when the computer is stuck, is simply to restart the pc by press&holding the power button
    edit 2: And it's a brand new MB, with Leopard preinstalled.

2. unity macrumors 6502a

It may be new, but do you have the latest firmware? If I recall, and I may be wrong, there was an update for this.

One test would be to create a new user account, that will narrow it to the system or user files.

Otherwise do an archive and install and preserve user settings. If that is indeed the suggested fix, why not do it?

3. Sceneshifter thread starter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

Because that given solution is for a slightly different problem but with similar symptoms. And because I read blogs from users where they report that 'if they had to do it again, they'd do it the command line way' Or something like that. It can't be that hard, just to disable what's causing the problem.. I did not have the problem prior to Leopard upgrade (I think, but since I don't reboot often it can be some other app aswell).

The only powerpc process I see running in Activity monitor is this: Microsoft AU Daemon, could this be the problem?

4. unity macrumors 6502a

Could be the MS thing. Did you try to kill the process?

5. Sceneshifter thread starter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

I can quit it no problem, but how I can disable it, I don't know.. It's at start up the problem, you see, I don't get an actual blue screen like windows in the middle of your work. It just hangs at startup (once in a while, not always)

6. unity macrumors 6502a

Check out:

library/startupitems

system/library/startupitems

See whats in those folders.