Help me fix my lion issues?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Joelb955, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Joelb955 macrumors member

I Just did an install of lion on my 2011 13" macbook pro. And This OS is getting on my nerves, I can't run Mac The Ripper(No rosetta). I Can't see any of my mounted volumes, There is no Folder to drag my apps to. and the gesture for Launchpad does not work properly. I feel like they took a step backwards with usability. I know you can't fix all of these issues but any help would be appreciated. It's The Golden Master.

2. jschmitt macrumors member

jschmitt

Couple of things:
    1) you're right about support for Rosetta .... that's not coming back; Period!
    2) Mounted drives; you need to go into the Finder's "Preferences" and click "General" and select from the options on the "Show These Items on the Desktop"
    3) You can still drag apps into the "Applications" folder; it's available and functional like it has always been
    4) The gesture for Launchpad does work, but since it requires multi-touches , it does take some time to get used to; I had the same opinion when I first started playing with the GM, but once I "got it", I've been able to get it to work every time since then.

Give Lion a little more time, before you deadpan it completely; I think it is one of Apple's best upgrades in a while.

John

3. claimed4all macrumors 6502

As you are a developer with the GM release, you do realize it will still have bugs. It hasn't been released to the public for a reason yet.

4. jschmitt macrumors member

jschmitt

Claimed4All - not sure if your post was in response to the original or my post; But a few more thoughts ...

First off, if you have the GM release through proper channels, you are a certified member of the Mac Developer program. Anyone that has Lion and is not a member of the program has gotten their hands on software they shouldn't have.

Secondly, everyone that has any appreciable amount of beta testing or early release testing for Apple or Microsoft realizes that when they download one of these they are getting buggy software. ALL software is buggy, even OS X 10.6.8 still has bugs in it.

As someone that has played with the previous non GM versions of Lion, I can attest to the difference in the quality of the GM build as compared to earlier versions. There is a very high probability that this build (11A511) is the one that is released later this week. If they release this version, no one on this forum would claim to say that it is a "bug-free" release; In fact if you look back at the history of OS X major number releases, the majority of bugs from the 10.x releases are addressed in the first 2 10.x.# releases. Each of these releases are typically released within the 60-75 days of the GM being released. That is when Lion's long-term stability and reliability will be cemented. But with that said, all software goes through this type of lifecycle. For those that haven't done QA on a MASSIVELY large project before, it is a REALLY HARD THING TO DO. It doesn't come out of the "womb" perfect.

5. Frosticus macrumors 6502a

Frosticus

Anyone who legitimately has access to the Lion GM at this time should expect bugs and understand that fixes/solutions for them may not yet be available.

Anyone using the GM who shouldn't have access and is having problems should kick themselves for being so impatient.

6. lucytune macrumors newbie

Microphone and video cam on MBP need to tweak preferences

Having installed Lion on my old MBP, no video or microphone. I had to reset them for Skype etc. in global and the application preferences.
    Two finger up/down scroll works in opposite direction to pre-lionisation.