Help me get a new laptop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by damnated, Aug 10, 2013.

1. damnated macrumors newbie

Hi, so I need a new laptop for university and I along with a Unix based OS I will have to run a Windows as well.

That means virtualization (don't like the idea of Bootcamp) and that means that I will either get the newest MBA with i7 and 8GB of RAM or will wait for the Haswell 13" rMBP (price wise, they are really similar at that point).

To be honest, I'm hesitating about both because I hate the idea of not being able to upgrade my laptop, especially since I cannot predict what I would be using the machine for in 2 years (for instance, I wouldn't increase the storage right now, but my needs might change in the future).

And that only leaves the regular 13" inch MBP which has a depressing 1280x800 of a screen. Is there perhaps a chance that the upcoming version might get a higher res screen? (Anything is better than 12800x800 to be honest.)

So my question is, should I shut up and get the most recent MBA now (can it handle a VirtualBox decently?) or should I wait until October (not being in the US, I might not even see the new MBP releases in October).

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

2. koban4max macrumors 68000

hey there. Rumors indicate MBP will be released in october..it's not far off. The keynote should be on sept. 10 if not mistaken... Why not just wait and get a brand new mbp....