Help me get internet on g5 please !

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Sabrina2000, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Sabrina2000 macrumors member

Have just got a powermac G5, but can't conent to internet! Bought spur of the moment; already regretting this I think

Here are the specs:
    Item specifics
    Condition: Used: An item that has been previously used. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or an item that has been returned to the seller after a period of use. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections. See all condition definitions- opens in a new window or tab... Read moreabout the condition Brand: Apple
    Processor Type: PowerPC G5 Release Year: 2005
    Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz Release Month: April
    MPN: M9749B/A Product Family: Power Mac G5
    Screen Size: 20" Memory: 512 MB
    Processor Configuration: Dual Hard Drive Capacity: 250 GB
    Operating System: Mac OS 10.4, Tiger

See reviews

Detailed item information
    Description
    Start your next project on the ultimate creative platform. Each of the dual-processor Power Mac G5 models offers lightning-fast performance, built on G5 processors running at up to 2.7GHz. A 64-bit processor with two double-precision floating-point units, two integer units and support for symmetric multiprocessing, the G5 combines an optimized Velocity Engine with a superscalar, super-pipelined execution core that can execute more than 200 simultaneous in-flight instructions. This high-bandwidth core has over 12 discrete functional units that process massive amounts of instructions in parallel.

Product Identifiers
    Brand Apple
    Product Family Power Mac G5
    Model ID PowerMac7,3
    Model Number A1047
    MPN M9749B/A

Processor
    Processor Type PowerPC G5
    Processor Speed 2.7 GHz
    Number of Cores Single-Core

Motherboard
    Video Output Interface AGP 8x
    Motherboard I/O Ports FireWire (IEEE1394a) x 2, FireWire (IEEE1394a) x 3, FireWire (IEEE1394b) x 1, PS/2 Keyboard x 1, PS/2 Mouse x 1, RJ11 Phone Jack x 1 (Input), RJ45 Lan Port x 1, USB 1.1 x 2, USB 2.0 x 3
    Bus Speed 1350 MHz

Technical Features
    Expansion Bays 1 x 5.25" (External Access), 2 x 3.5" (Internal Access)
    Expansion Slots AGP x8 x 1, PCI-X 64 Bit (100 MHz) Full Height, Full Length x 2, PCI-X 64 Bit (100/66 MHz) x 2, PCI-X 64 Bit (133 MHz) Full Height, Full Length x 1

Hard Drive
    Hard Drive Capacity 250 GB
    Hard Drive Rotation Speed 7200 RPM
    Hard Drive Interface Serial ATA

Memory
    RAM Technology DDR SDRAM
    Manufacturer's RAM Capacity 512 MB
    RAM Supported Speed 400 MHz
    RAM Memory Slots Qunatity 8 x DIMMs
    Installed Cache Memory 512 KB
    Max. Cache Memory 256 KB

CD / DVD
    Optical Drive Type DVD±RW
    Optical Drive Read Speed 16x (DVD), 32x (CD)
    Optical Drive Write Speed 16x (DVD-R), 24x (CD), 4x (DVD+R DL), 4x (DVD+R)
    Optical Drive ReWrite Speed 24x (CD-RW)

Other Drives
    Floppy Drive 3.5" 1.44 MB floppy

Video
    On Board Graphic Processor ATI RADEON 9600
    Max. Video Resolution 1920 x 1200
    Installed Video Memory 128 MB
    Video Outputs DVI x 2

Audio
    Audio Input Line In (3.5mm), Microphone, Optical Digital In
    Audio Output Analog Audio, Headphones, Optical Digital, Sound card, Speaker(s)

Modem
    Modem Type Fax / Modem

Networking
    Data Link Protocol AirPort Extreme, Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet
    Networking Type Integrated 10/100/1000 Network Card, Integrated Network Card

Dimensions
    Depth 47.5 cm
    Height 51.1 cm
    Width 20.6 cm
    Weight 20.1 kg

Miscellaneous
    Form Factor Tower
    Release Date April, 2005
    Exterior Color Silver, White
    OS Certified MacOS X 10.4

3 Gig of DDR SDRAM

Duel Core 2.5 GHz processor

Internal DVD RW

All cables plus Belkin WIFI toggle

I do have another imac, more up to date, snow leopard, connects to internet through BT homehub router.

Previously had a couple of G4's which connected wirelessly to internet but just can't get this G5 to connect!

It has a black usb (router?) plugged in the front and appears to connect to apple home page but can't search anything on it - it takes you to a payment screen.

How do I connect to my BT homehub? The wired conenction is to the imac; was really counting on this G5 being able to connect wirelessly.

Been fiddling around with settings; haven't a clue what I'm doing really; airport is all greyed out whatever I do and there is no prompt to join the BT network coming up anywhere; also cant see airport signal anywhere.

PLEASE HELP

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Does your Mac have an Airport Extreme card and bluetooth (and the antennas)?

These were options on most G5s and not standard. If you don't have those there's no way you are going to connect without plugging in an ethernet cable.

3. aednichols macrumors member

aednichols

Be advised - this is a unit with a (potentially unreliable) liquid cooling system. Check it now, and check it regularly!

4. Subish macrumors member

5. Sabrina2000, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011

Sabrina2000 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks so much for these replies; well, it's now connected ! It does have bluetooth, no idea if it has airport extreme card or antenna, but all I had to do in the end ( as advised by the seller) was to go into system preferences, then hit the icon bottom left - dpa or something ( I'll check it and report back later to confirm) , then that automatically searches for networks and bingo ! It was dead easy in the end.I panicked a bit when I went into "about this mac" and no airport was listed, and then went into network connections and couldn't figure it out; especially as I've been having such a bad run with macs recently ( G4 issues), and I took a bit of a gamble on this one, not knowing anything much about it . New to macs, still finding my way, still very much need the idiots guide to it all.

Thanks for telling me about the liquid cooling system issue - I really hope that won't arise. Is April 2005 counted as one of the early 2005 models? I guess so......oh heck.

Just had a look at that link, and it refers to to the "late 2005" models as the dual core ones. This one is a dual configured single core processor ( see specs above) , so would it possibly be considered a late 2005 model?

6. thorns macrumors member

no, it's not a "Late 2005" Model. Those had dualcore CPUs (2 CPUs in 1 chip). You have 2 CPUs in 2 chips, making it a "dual" machine.