Help me get organized...from PC to my new iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gaelan, Jun 14, 2007.

1. gaelan macrumors regular

So the plan so far is to hook the PC up via ethernet to transfer desired files over from windows. These files are mostly photos, music and video. Games and apps will be backed up on dvd as I'm not sure I will be dual booting yet.

How difficult is it to get the mac networked with the pc out of the box? Should I hook them up directly or via my router? Will the mac prompt me for each file type or will I need to direct it as to which folder to use to store music, video, and photos?

I guess after the transfer of files is complete, I'm gonna reinstall windows for the first time is 4 years to pass the box on to the kids. Am I missing anything about this process or is there a better way?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

MacRumors has a fabulous guide on networking the two operating systems. Run through that and you should be fine. Welcome to Macs. :)

3. Vorbis macrumors newbie

I had a laptop running XP, I powered on my new imac, pulled the network cable out of my router, stuck it in the mac. Hey presto. I stuck all the files I wanted from Windows into a folder (7gb) and just copied them to the mac. After that, I tunes handles the importing of music files, Iphoto for the pics.

4. gaelan thread starter macrumors regular

thanks

5. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

I did this exact thing and it does work, may I also suggest a button in system preferences>Sharing>Firewall.. and look at services tab for things you want to share over the network