Help me get rid of a WD SmartWare icon

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Resqu2, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

A while back I hooked up a WD My book studio LX drive to my IMac, I did not install anything that came with it, just let time machine do it's thing.

Sometime afterwards I noticed an icon on my desktop with a pic of a CD in it, I tried dragging it to the trash bin but it just says eject "WD SmartWare" which I do but its back in no time. Since I can't delete it I really have no idea how to get rid of it and I'm real sure I don't need it.

Thanks!!

2. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Couple of different ways:

* In the Finder prefs, uncheck the box for displaying CD-ROMs and other media on the desktop. I forget the exact wording, but you'll know you clicked the right one when the SmartWare icon goes bye-bye.

* In terminal, become root, then 'umount -a' the SmartWare volume in the /Volumes directory.

Note, this last one isn't necessarily persistent - it may (or may not) come back after a reboot or re-mounting.

Boos and hisses to WD for putting this damn SW onto an unreachable part of the HD. I used it once to change the e-ink display to match the disk name, and I'll never need it again.

3. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

There's no way to remove it unfortunately. It's built in to the firmware of the drive apparently :mad:. You can hide it using the guide and software provided on the WD website or you can prevent it from mounting by editing the fstab config file in the terminal.

4. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

The request is to remove the _icon_ which most certainly can be done.

5. Resqu2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Did the finder suggestion, perfect, thanks. I got a lot to learn about Macs so I don't have to ask stupid questions.

6. simsaladimbamba

How then?

7. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

First bullet in my initial post does the trick.